Benders

WTF

Three days of beautiful weather has made the canoe trip absolutely perfect to this point. You all sit around the campfire sharing random thoughts and ideas. Tomorrow, you have to start back toward civilization and your real lives. It will be another three days to get back but the feeling of going back will be there. The reality that the week is coming to a close. Tonight is the last shelter against that reality.

The conversation slows, not because you have run out of things to say, bu because one by one each of you turns your thoughts inward. What is it that is attracting your attention? It’s hard to put your finger on at first.

It’s like a slight breeze has started and has been slowly building in intensity. Except there is no breeze. The smoke from the fire is streaming straight up into the night air where it obscures some of the stars.

As everyone becomes quiet, you hear the breeze. At least you think you hear the breeze. Only it sounds more like water slipping back out into the ocean after a wave has ended its crash up the beach. As you try to place the sound, you realize that you don’t actually “hear” anything. Like the breeze that isn’t there, this sound seems to exist only in your mind.

You look around at each other, wondering if the others feel it too. From the looks on their faces, it’s obvious that everyone is hearing and feeling the breeze that doesn’t exist. You all stand up, instinctively, because standing doesn’t serve any purpose. There is nothing to see by standing up. There is nothing more to feel or observe.

The breeze continues to build in strength and the hair on your arms and neck seem to stand on end. The breeze seems to be “blowing” toward the west. Everyone looks east and west trying to see what could be causing it or what is at the other end. Nothing.

The breeze is now a strong wind. It feels like dust is pelting against the skin of your legs and arms, and yet, still nothing moves. It’s all in your mind.

Hurricane forces and now it feels like the dust and gravel is traveling through your body, tearing bits and pieces of you off as they go through. You look down and don’t see anything. You clothes aren’t moving and no bits of flesh and blood are flinging off. All of you are facing west now as if to protect yourself from the flying debris, even though you know there is no debris.

Then it slows and abruptly stops. What must have taken an hour to build in strength drops off in less than a minute. Nothing moves and there are no sounds. Not even in your head. It still feels like your body is missing pieces of itself but like the breeze and sound, the feeling is just in your head. Your body appears just as it did an hour ago.

You look at each other, wondering what it was that you just felt. Before anyone can speak the question on everyone’s mind, a bright light erupts from the west. A blast of light shoots straight up into the sky, up into space it seems, and then drops back down. The light doesn’t stop from the bottom. It’s as if the darkness of the night pushes the light back down from where ever it came from.

There is a thunderous crack as the light hits the ground and then a large wall of light bursts out in a circle from where the fountain of light once stood. The wave quickly expands with part of that circle headed for your campsite. You think about running, about finding cover, but the wall of light is upon you too quickly. There is nothing to do but to duck into it as if you were trying to brace against impact. There is no impact.

As the wall of light passes over you, it feels as if all those teeny bits of your body that were ripped out by the hurricane are being put back in . . . and more.

You turn to the east and watch the wall of light flow away from you until it fades from sight.

Everything is dark and quiet, except for the light and crackle coming from the campfire.

Posted at 02:10 PM in Camping, Level 1 | Permalink Comments You can follow this conversation by subscribing to the comment feed for this post.

I look around at everyone expecting to see the same look of “WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT?!?” on their faces, and am rewarded. I quickly check myself over to see if I have any damage that I can see orfeel. I run to my tent, grab my flashlight and a gun I brought along just in case we ran into a bear and run back out to everyone and ask, “Who wants to go check out what the hell that was with me?”

Posted by: mark | 11/20/2008 at 04:10 PM

That light appeared farther away than a few minutes walk, so I’m thinking if we’re going to check it out, we need to break camp. I’m collapsing my tent and stowing my gear in my pack. And it’s a good thing we didn’t waste too much ammo shooting at cans for “practice” this week. Or the guns (I’m sure we all brought one “in case of bears”) would be expensive billy clubs by now. Let’s all pack up and head to the west where we saw the light.

Posted by: John | 11/21/2008 at 08:14 AM

“I’m game. Just give me a sec, Mark.” I duck inside my tent grabbing a day pack that has my video camera, spare batteries, a water bottle about 3/4 full, and a very basic first aid kit which includes a cheap compass. It’s my basic hiking kit. My head lamp is lying by the tent flap and I scoop that up as well. Once outside I add my opinion, “I say we get there as fast as we can. Does someone want to stay back to pack up and join us later or should we come back for the gear after we check it out?”

Posted by: Lynette | 11/22/2008 at 09:44 PM

“If we’re going to get there fast, then it’ll be by canoe. Two people per? John and I in one, Mark and Lynette in another. Anyone else coming?”

I pack up my tent and stow it and the rest of the gear except the radio since we’re going to be heading back to civilization tomorrow anyway. Since the food pack is almost empty I throw it and my Duluth pack into the center of the canoe and pick up a paddle.

“I’ll paddle the first part alone, John. See if you can pull up a news report about hurricane winds and mystery lights on the radio.”

Posted by: CV Rick | 11/24/2008 at 05:55 AM

“I’m a little baffled by all your desires to go CLOSER to the big glowing thing from space that just shredded us to bits… I agree with John, if we go to investigate, we should break camp, because we might have to get out of here FAST.”

I’ll help John break down the site, keeping my machete out… just in case. I smirk at those who brought guns for protection.

Blades don’t need reloading.

I also hand-crank the dynamo-powered emergency radio I brought, and tune into the shortwave radio frequency, looking for a weather report.

Posted by: bex | 11/24/2008 at 08:06 AM

View
Breaking Camp

There was a flurry of motion as tents were dropped and sloppily rolled up as packs and supplies were tossed into the bottom of the canoes.

The two radios listened to the airwaves hoping to catch some news of what ever the hell just happened.

Nothing. The weather was going to be nice, if a bit warmer than previous years. No news of strange beams of light to the heavens or a tidal wave of light and energy.

It felt like a long time but really only took minutes for everything to be chucked into the canoes. Partnering up, John and Rick, Mark and Lynette, Bex and Alan, the canoes were pushed into the water and the insane trip toward the energy source was started.

“Isn’t this how everyone dies in the horror movies?” Alan asked.

45 minutes of paddling and the group came upon some docks with several boats tied to them. The boats were a boring gray in color but with nice angles. Everyone’s first thought was “military.” New, but military.

The docks were solid, built on cement pillars. The dock lead to a path that seemed to just wander off into the trees.

Everything was quiet. Eerily quiet.

ooc: I added my character into the game so there was an even number.

Posted at 03:22 PM in Camping, Level 1 | Permalink Comments You can follow this conversation by subscribing to the comment feed for this post.

“Yah this is how everyone dies in the movies…....next thing you know I’m gonna blow shit up with my mind!”

I ask Rick/Alan quietly “hey either of you two recognize anything about those boats?”

I look around to see if I can notice any guards or sentries/cameras. I then look for any markings on the boats that may be of help, as I didn’t think there was a military base up here in these woods.

Qiuetly: “I say we stash the canoes and check things out…it’s too quiet. And NO, let’s NOT separate, THAT’s how peolpe die in the movies”

Posted by: mark | 12/08/2008 at 06:41 AM

I shut off my radio…

Eerie quiet in the woods means one of two things… either a big nasty predator, or everything is already dead.

Since sound travels so well over water, I’m hesitant. If a military sentry exists, he probably heard us and is watching us with night vision goggles. Stashing the canoe would look suspicious… it might be best to dock and play dumb. I start wincing as I paddle in case I need to fake appendicitis or something…

But… if no sentry exists, then quietly docking might still make sense… we can quickly land, check the place out, and stash the canoes anyway.

I quietly mention this to Alan so he can confer with Rick and Mark… I point weakly at the doc, and slump a little - for dramatic effect ;)

Posted by: bex | 12/08/2008 at 07:26 PM

Aside: I think there’s something wrong with your RSS feed. I subscribed to it a while back, but never got a notification of this post.

Posted by: bex | 12/08/2008 at 07:33 PM

ooc: Hopefully the feedreader is fixed now.

Posted by: Success Warrior | 12/08/2008 at 09:14 PM

I let the guys figure out their course of action while I check my batteries on the camera. Fully charged. I put it on low-light infrared and look through the viewfinder. It helped a little. I hit record, and lower the camera so it isn’t so obvious. If someone is going to arrest us or attack us, I want a record left behind. Plus, who knows when this footage could be useful for my own career. Then a thought occurs to me. I whisper, “Here’s another option guys. We could paddle past the landing as if we’re not interested. Stash the canoes downstream and still make a stealthy approach.”

Posted by: Lynette | 12/09/2008 at 03:24 PM

Hmmm…. If I were a trained soldier, I think I’d do exactly what Lynette suggested. Paddle past, ditch the canoes, and sneak back under cover.

That said, I’m not a trained soldier and don’t particularly like the odds of success at such a tactic for a bunch of ordinary (though no less heroic) folks. I think our best best is the clueless angle. Plus if we start thinking like military and then we do get caught it could be much worse for our attempts at stealth.

I think we should make for the docks and tie up. Maybe even look like we’re trying to set up a rudimentary camp or something. Then we could check out that path and see where it goes.

What do ya think?

Posted by: John | 12/09/2008 at 03:50 PM

I look at Lynette and her camera.

“How’d it turn out for the Blair Witch people?”

“I vote for the innocent approach in case we’ve already been spotted.”

ooc: Gonna wait for a concensus before making the next post.

Posted by: Success Warrior | 12/09/2008 at 08:48 PM

Uh… actually it turned out really well. They made a lot of money on that movie… you do know it’s a movie, right? If you guys want to go straight in, that’s fine. I’ll go along with pretty much anything.

Posted by: Lynette | 12/12/2008 at 12:46 PM

Remember… they only seem like military. They could be bigfoot hunters as well. In which, the “sneaky” approach might get us nailed with a tranquilizer dart.

Posted by: bex | 12/13/2008 at 11:10 AM

I think we’re still waiting for the unemployed Rick to make his reply! What is he doing with his days?

Posted by: mark | 12/16/2008 at 11:12 AM

View
Splash, Splash, Splash

Even though the group had opted for the straight forward approach, they couldn’t help but to paddle quieter than normal as they moved by the military looking boats. There were no markings on the boats that they could see. The friends pulled their canoes up on the muddy beach and pulled them up well out of the water.

No one was around. No guards. No one out for a smoke. Just quiet.

There was a small build-up of dirt that lead out onto the dock. Each of the group grabbed their backpack and walked up the small dirt ramp, at least it was a ramp when it was approaced from the side.

To their right was the dock, which lead well out into the water. Three of the sleek gray boats were tied up. No one could be seen on the boats.

To their left was a dirt path that lead into the trees. If there were any buildings in that direction, the trees and darkness completely hid them.

From behind them, where the canoes had been grounded, there came a noise. Splash, splash, splash. It sounded like someone was running along the edge of the lake, near the shore. Then there were more splashes. More someones running in the water, toward the group. Flashlights were swung around in that direction but nothing was in sight yet.

Posted at 01:07 PM in Camping, Level 1 | Permalink Comments You can follow this conversation by subscribing to the comment feed for this post.

ooc: this could get dicey… I’ll need to get you my character sheet in case we do battle.

I’m still going with the “play dumb, I’ve got appendicitis” approach until the last second… I’ll hunch over a bit with my right arm across my stomach, keeping an eye towards where the splashes are coming from… but also keeping a hand close to the hilt of my machete. I’ll loose it a bit from the sheath so I can grab it quickly, if needed.

We still don’t know if these guys are monsters, soldiers, cops, or innocent campers… if its the last 3, I can probably talk our way out of this if they aren’t threatened.

Posted by: bex | 12/26/2008 at 10:34 AM

OOC: what is the ambient lighting? Full moon, new moon?

I turn off my flashlight (why did I turn it on again?) and duck behind the dirt ramp and motion the others to do the same…maybe even wade quietly out into the water by the first pier pillar and peek around towards the splashes…make sure the safety is off on my gun, while keeping it out of sight, and get ready for, well, anything…

Posted by: mark | 12/30/2008 at 06:58 AM

Hmmm… People running along the lake towards us in the dark with no lights. They have to have some way of seeing in the dark, probably night vision goggles or some such especially since we anticipate them being military of some sort. In which case they have likely already seen us, surrounded as we are by the light from our flashlights.

I’ll crouch at the top of the ramp by the entrance to the path without making any obviously unfriendly motions. Unsecure my revolver in its holster but not draw it yet. Might as well make sure my metal baton is close to hand if I need a melee weapon too. Scan the area where the running noises are coming from with my flashlight.

Posted by: John | 12/30/2008 at 09:39 AM

But then I just reread the description.

I’m thinking we may have a situation of someone/something being chased along the lake shore towards us. We heard one set of splashes first and then subsequently heard more behind them. Just something to think about as we plan out what to do.

Posted by: John | 12/30/2008 at 09:49 AM

At first I duck behind the ramp with everyone else. If there is any foliage or tree line with 15 yards I start cautiously and quietly edging backwards hoping to gain some cover where I can video what happens in relative safety.

Posted by: Lynette | 01/05/2009 at 12:30 PM

View
WTF2 (The Sequel)

Bex, Alan, and Rick stayed in place while John and Mark took up positions where the ramp would afford them some cover and Lynette made her way to the trees. The splashing continued its path toward the docks and it wasn’t long before the group could see shadows of four men running toward them. There was enough moon to see the water glinting off of wetsuits. The men were in a full run, as well as they could in a foot of water, with arms in full swing. It didn’t look like the men were carrying anything.

The men slowed their pace and stopped when they saw the three guys standing out in the open. They looked at each other as if confused but that passed quickly and the point-man leapt ahead. The other three joined right behind and the four of them moved out of the water onto land as they ran for the three guys standing in the open. Their feet made a slap-slap sound as they hit ground drawing everyone’s attention down. These guys were still wearing their flippers. What could possibly be so urgent that they wouldn’t have taken off their flippers before starting their run?

As the men cleared the shadows of the trees, they looked even more odd. Their movement didn’t seem natural, even for guys trying to run in flippers. Their facemasks didn’t look right either and again, who wears a facemask when they are trying to run all out?

When all possibilities are eliminated except one, that one must be the answer no matter how improbable. These weren’t men in wetsuits. They were more like giant, bipedal frogs. As if to confirm the freaky conclusion of the friends, the leader stopped run, crouched, and sprang forward, covering far more ground than any Olympic triple-jumper ever could.

He landed in front of Bex and flicked his tongue. The three following also took a giant leap into the air.

Initiative Order:

John Alan Mark Frogmen Lynette Bex Rick

You'll have to forgive me for the board.  I can't find my plain white grid board.  I dug through some 20 year old box of stuff to get what's here.

I’ve outlined in red the dock at the bottom with the path that leads up into the trees. I’m using the arches for 3D representation of the tree area.

Hopefully when you click on the picture, you get a size that’s easy to see.

I just picked out miniatures of different color to represent you guys. If you have a favorite miniature that you would like used, just mail it to me and I’ll make the change.

Interestingly, I found some miniatures from my very first set purchased back in 1982. Also interestingly, all of these miniatures were painted by Ricky T in 1984-85.

Posted at 04:46 PM in Base, Level 1 | Permalink Comments You can follow this conversation by subscribing to the comment feed for this post.

ooc: so I go second-to-last? OK. I’ll get John and/or Mark to help me put together my character sheet tonight… and I’ll patiently wait my turn to slash this frogman with my machete ;-)

Posted by: bex | 01/07/2009 at 08:18 AM

ooc: You and Rick were relegated to last because I don’t have your character sheets yet. Hopefully, you’ll have them done by the time the others respond (unless the frogman kills you first, in which case you won’t have to worry about it).

Posted by: Success Warrior | 01/07/2009 at 03:23 PM

what does ooc: stand for?

Posted by: Lynette | 01/09/2009 at 05:51 PM

Out Of Character. Comments from Player (not character) to DM, usually about game mechanics.

Posted by: Success Warrior | 01/10/2009 at 01:34 AM

OOC: are we waiting for each player to take their turn for our replies?

Posted by: mark | 01/12/2009 at 08:55 PM

You don’t have to wait to make your reply. When the next turn comes around (which would be today but I’m going to extend it to Friday because I wasn’t clear on moves) . . .

Anyway, when the next turn comes around, I do up the post and anyone who hasn’t responded essentially does nothing. Next time, I’m not going to post the initiative order in the post so there’s no impression of waiting for your turn.

Posted by: Success Warrior | 01/13/2009 at 05:09 AM

wow, am I surpised and shocked…but it seems that my friend is being attacked by a monster! I reach down, pull my pistol, unsafe it and sight in on the leaders head. With a small prayer to the gods of luck, I pull the trigger…

Posted by: mark | 01/13/2009 at 11:16 AM

ooc: But don’t we need to act in order so we each can respond to what the others do? (I’m not near my character sheets and I don’t remember if I have any fighting abilities… thus this response.)

I duck behind some foliage in horror. I don’t carry a weapon. I want to help but don’t know how. I search the ground looking for a snowball sized rock I could hurl. For now I watch and record, looking for either an opportunity to join the fight effectively or to take this footage and escape for help.

Posted by: Lynette | 01/14/2009 at 04:54 PM

ooc: I just sent my char sheet to Alan, hopefully its sufficient ;-)

Well, it seems like there’s not many diplomatic options here…

I will summon up every visceral emotion that I can concoct, and yell the most terrifying war cry I can imagine, and attack the leader with my machete. It will sound something like “raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!”

After which: “I’ll drink the blood from you jagged, spurting wounds, and I’ll LAUGH!!!!!!!”

I’m going for psychotic, balls-out intimidation here… because I don’t have many other options…

my kingdom for a Beretta…

Posted by: bex | 01/15/2009 at 10:36 PM

ooc: (Seems customary to start my response this way…) Been dealing with Real estate and a big meeting this week.

If I have a clear shot at the thing attacking Brian, I draw my pistol and shoot it. If I don’t have a clear shot, I take aim at the nearest of it’s compatriots. Rather not fire into melee if possible. My Thac0 just isn’t high enough to ensure not giving Brian a new orifice.

Posted by: John | 01/16/2009 at 07:40 AM

much obliged, John!

If you don’t have a clear shot at the guy on me, feel free to shoot the 3 jumping through the air.

Posted by: bex | 01/16/2009 at 10:11 AM

ooc: is everyone still playing or have we had drops?

Posted by: mark | 01/22/2009 at 06:39 AM

Everyone is still in. Finishing up a character sheet and hoping to resolve Round 1 of combat tomorrow.

Posted by: Success Warrior | 01/22/2009 at 07:18 AM

ooc: I’m assuming I didn’t have to roll unless I found a rock and if I did, I assume I would throw it next round. Let me know if that’s not true.

Posted by: Lynette | 01/23/2009 at 03:34 PM

No you don’t need a roll. This format is new to me so I’m still trying to work out particulars. If you attempt something in your turn that requires a dice roll, you should post your attempt and then send the dice roll. If you post an action and I determine that a roll is needed, I’ll post or email a dice roll request to you.

Posted by: Success Warrior | 01/24/2009 at 02:40 PM

ooc: any news, here? do you need anything else from us?

Posted by: bex | 01/26/2009 at 08:03 PM

We’ll be moving ahead today.

Posted by: Success Warrior | 01/27/2009 at 04:47 AM

View
Protected by Killer Frogs

All the guys went for their weapons while Lynette filmed the weird turn of events.

John was the first to get his gun into play, trying to sight in the bipedal frog attacking Brian. There was no way of taking a shot without putting a round right through Brian so John turned his attention to the frogs flying through the air. Being above the three guys in front actually made them a viable target. John pulled the trigger but didn’t see any visible effect from the shot.

Alan was next out of the holster, trying to hit the frog attacking Brian. The good news was that he missed Brian. The bad news was that he missed the frog too.

Mark tried to wing the apparent frog leader while missing Rick and Brian. It made the shot nearly impossible and the round hit the dirt at Brian’s feet.

Brian let out his blood curdling cry, which sounded like a cross between Braveheart and a 12 year old screaming, before taking a wild, missing, swing with his machete.

The frog leader made a slash for Brian after the machete passed. Brian swore he could see claws on the webbed hand as it passed harmlessly in front of his face.

The other three frogmen landed behind their leader.

Lynette splits her attention between the camera and fumbling around looking for a rock, concentrating mostly on the camera. Her hand fund a baseball sized rock.

Rick unflinched from the sound of gunfire right behind him and took a shot at the leader but he missed as well.

For everyone involved, this was quite a bit different from plinking cans at their leisure in broad daylight.

Posted at 10:48 AM in Base, Level 1 | Permalink Comments You can follow this conversation by subscribing to the comment feed for this post.

OOC: wow, we suck…

I edge around a bit to get a clearer shot at one of the frogmen as best I can so I don’t hit my buddies. Simply take another shot.

Posted by: mark | 01/27/2009 at 01:58 PM

OOC: can you put a link for the die roll site on the blog someplace so we can get them that rolls in easier? Espeically since I dleted the old threads on FB.

Posted by: mark | 01/27/2009 at 02:01 PM

;;; Yes, you all do suck. Love 1st level!

And yes, good idea, the link for secure dice has been added in the sidebar.

Posted by: Success Warrior | 01/27/2009 at 04:05 PM

ooc: here’s the dice roller I use:

http://www.rpglibrary.org/software/securedice/

email the results to: alanrowley@bttd.net

Posted by: bex | 01/27/2009 at 04:08 PM

I pull back so my buddies can get a better shot at the leader and his cohorts without hitting me… and I take another swing with my machete!

ooc: rolled a 2

Dammit! Hitting monster frogs is a lot tougher than hitting stationary shrubbery…

Posted by: bex | 01/27/2009 at 04:13 PM

Well, isn’t this a surprise. Jumping attack-frogs. I take my pistol and aim squarely at the leader’s chest (right where Bex would’ve hit had he not rolled a 2) and I fire.

ooc: I rolled a 19 (+2 = 21).

Posted by: CVRick | 01/27/2009 at 05:13 PM

ooc: thanks for the link…I rolled a fraking 9…

Posted by: mark | 01/27/2009 at 07:46 PM

OOC: Bex, how do you step back AND still attack with a machete? Ummm, why do you have a Machete in Minnesota lake country? Where did you carry it? Just wondering.

Posted by: CV Rick | 01/28/2009 at 08:41 AM

It seems that my best option is to continue to try and take advantage of my elevated position to take shots at them at least until the rest of the group makes it’s way back and up to my position. I’ll sight again on the one that I shot last time. I could have sworn it was a good shot. Maybe a second one will be more telling.

ooc: This time I rolled a 17 + 2 = 19. w00t!

Posted by: John | 01/29/2009 at 09:52 AM

OOC: Rick, I was assuming the leader would stay in melee with me, and inch towards me as I inched back. If not, no matter, because I missed anyway. Also, a woodsman’s machete is not an uncommon camping tool. It cuts, chops, digs, scraps, scoops, etc… did you think the guy who owns 8 swords would leave his machete at home, when I finally have a chance to use it? ;-)

http://www.amazon.com/Ontario-Knives-Camper-Machete-Black/dp/B000PL6WYC

Posted by: bex | 01/29/2009 at 04:06 PM

OOC: but for the ultimate in brush-clearing, check out this bad boy:

http://www.amazon.com/Woodmans-Pal-Premium-Machete-Cordura/dp/B0009DV5SO http://www.campingsurvival.com/wopallegrwis.html

I saw that one years ago in Mother Earth News, and I’ve wanted one since. Maybe as soon as I have a backyard…

Posted by: bex | 01/29/2009 at 04:21 PM

I WANT IT!!!

Good Find. I’m ordering.

Posted by: CV Rick | 01/29/2009 at 04:55 PM

Since my camping buddies have turned out to be such bad shots, I put the camera in the crook of a branch facing the action, step out and hurl my rock as hard as I can and the nearest frog man. If I have time I duck back behind the tree and look for more rocks.

Posted by: Lynette | 01/30/2009 at 08:06 AM

View
Protected by Killer Frogs - Round 2

John climbed up onto the path so that he had a shot over the 3 guys stuck in the front. He was giving up his cover in doing so but unless these frogs could somehow shoot their claws out of their hands, cover wasn’t an issue. Of course, after being penetrated by some super huge energy tidal wave and then being attacked by man-sized bipedal frogs – with claws (frogs don’t have claws dammit!), anything was possible.

On top of the path, he took a fraction of a second longer to sight in his target and pulled the trigger. The round hit the frog square in the chest.

Alan tried shooting the frog attacking Brian and failed again.

Mark moved to his right, up onto the path and around so that he could shoot past Rick instead of trying to thread a shot between Rick and Brian. The new angle was safer for his buddies but did absolutely nothing as far as hitting his target.

The frog leader made a swipe at Brian, claws digging into the arm that he held out protectively (-3 hp, roll d20 for Fortitude Saving Throw).

Brian swung back and his swing was so wild that Rick and Alan were lucky that they weren’t hit by the machete. Brian stumbled back 5 feet trying to make it easier for his friends to help him out.

The other 3 frogs rushed forward, 2 on Alan and 1 on Rick. The first frog, the one that had been shot by John, attacked first. The swing was weak and Alan was able to dodge it easily. He dodged right into the path of the attack from the second frog (-6 hp, Fort save).

The one attacking Rick also scored a raking claw into Rick’s side (-4 hp, Fort save).

Lynette chucked her rock at the frog attacking Rick. The rock smacked against the side of the frog with a good thunk. Lynette quickly found another rock.

Rick took aim at the leader and fired a round into the frog. The frog attacking Rick took a swipe at his weapon arm. Rick’s shot hit but he had more blood leaving his body as proof of price paid (-3 hp, Fort save).

Posted at 02:00 PM in Base, Level 1 | Permalink Comments You can follow this conversation by subscribing to the comment feed for this post.

ooc: what do we roll for Fort Save?

Posted by: CV Rick | 01/30/2009 at 02:25 PM

d20

Posted by: Success Warrior | 01/30/2009 at 02:40 PM

OOC: did the one frog attacking Rick attack twice this round? I ask cuz Rick got hit twice…

OOC: Hit points, down by 3. Fortitude Save roll was 10. Since my constitution is 10, I believe that succeeds, correct?

I feel more than a little freaked at the moment… a giant frog slashed me with a slimy claw, and I have no clue where he’s been… I keep my left arm up to block his attacks as best as I can.

I swing my machete again, hoping to finally connect…

OOC: rolled a 9

Dammit! The machete gods have truly forsaken me…

Posted by: bex | 01/31/2009 at 12:33 PM

;;; The frog attacking Rick did attack twice that round. If you use a ranged attack when a melee attacker is an adjacent square to you, that attacker is allowed to make an Attack of Opportunity. A free attack. From this point on, the 3 guys in front should either go with melee attacks or try to disengage. The new rules is why I allowed twice the normal starting hit points. Not knowing the rules in and out makes you truly act more like you’re first level. Not like that time in Phoenix . . . but that’s a long story.

;;; Your assumpiton on your Fort save is incorrect. You save against the power of the disease or poiosn that is trying to affect you. For example, if frog-pond-slime disease has a Difficulty Class of 12, you would need to roll a 12 (with the addition of your save bonus of +1, you would only need to roll an 11). You Constitution gives you a bonus to the roll.

Posted by: Success Warrior | 01/31/2009 at 01:46 PM

I’m going to forego the pistol in favor of just beating this frog in front of me like a worn-out punching bag. I start pummeling the stupid beasts and getting ready for a cuisses de grenouille feast.

ooc: sent the two Fort saves and a the attack roll.

Posted by: CVRick | 01/31/2009 at 04:17 PM

I grab as many stones and start hurling.

ooc: roled an 18

Posted by: Lynette | 01/31/2009 at 09:40 PM

Damn near everyone is involved in melee at this point. From the map, it looks like I could safely getone more shot off at the one attacking Brian since he backed up if I beat it’s initiative. (OOC: DM call on this?)

Posted by: John | 02/02/2009 at 11:32 AM

;;; John, if you fire before the leader re-engages than you can do so without fear of hitting Brian.

Posted by: Success Warrior | 02/03/2009 at 07:13 AM

Then that’s what I’ll do. Draw a bead on the leader attacking Brian before he manages to reengage with him.

ooc: Of course since I rolled a 4, it won’t do a damn bit of good…

Posted by: John | 02/04/2009 at 11:10 AM

ooc: I’ve been sick as shit for the last few days…sorry I haven’t moved yet.

I take a bead on any of the frogmen that I can get a clean shot at and pump a shell into him!

ooc:I rolled a 20!

Posted by: mark | 02/04/2009 at 11:56 AM

;;; Next post will be on Friday since there were responses missing for Tuesday. In the future during combat, if I have 3 out of 5 responses, I’ll probably move forward and have the missing players take actions similar to what they did last round. Combat really slows down an online game. It’s necessary but we’re going to spend several weeks just dealing with these frogs.

Posted by: Success Warrior | 02/05/2009 at 05:08 AM

ooc: and I roll a 14 for my critical hit…

Posted by: mark | 02/05/2009 at 08:04 AM

View
Protected by Killer Frogs - Round 3

John inched up a bit both forward as well as up on his toes a bit to get a clear shot at the frog slicing up Brian. He was too cautious with his shot though, hitting the ground well beyond the frog.

Alan gave up with his gun and did a side kick into the chest of the frog that John shot. His heel connected nicely sending the frog back a few feet where it sprawled out and laid motionless.

Mark took a shot at the frog attacking Rick, thunking another round into the frog’s body but the frog refused to give up its attack on Rick.

All the frogs lashed out with their clawed, webbed, “hands” at the 3 guys holding the front. If the live through this, they should start a synchronized swimming team because although they acted together, it was all pointless.

Lynette bounced another rock off the frog attacking Rick. This time the frog looked briefly in her direction, probably thinking, “What the hell?”

Brian continued to fan the frog with his machete so the poor creature didn’t get too hot, flailing about up here on dry land.

Rick was fed up with frogs, guns, and the frog-pond-slime burning in his open lacerations. Holding the gun in his left hand, he lashed out with a right cross to the frog’s slimy face that knocked it out cold.

Posted at 01:44 PM in Base, Level 1 | Permalink Comments You can follow this conversation by subscribing to the comment feed for this post.

Knocked it out cold!! Yeah. Now I move around behind the one that Brian is fighting and punch it.

Posted by: CVRick | 02/06/2009 at 03:40 PM

2 down, 2 (unwounded) to go!

I refuse to become a pugilist when I have a machete in my hand… I keep my wounded left arm up for protection, and make another swing at the leader… trying hard to not hit Rick as he closes.

OOC: I rolled a frigging 1! Aaaaaagh!

Posted by: bex | 02/06/2009 at 04:40 PM

Seems like the time of ranged weapons has come to a close. I holster my pistol, unclip my baton and come down the hill and around to Mark’s left and take a swipe at the one he’s been the target of.

OOC: Rolled a 12.

Posted by: John | 02/09/2009 at 09:33 AM

OOC: still sick as shit, but now on medication, but not the kind that I really wanted ;) but I found the SW trilogy much more entertaining while on my codeine yesterday…

do I have a shot with my pistol still being on the high(er) ground?

Posted by: mark | 02/10/2009 at 07:56 AM

You take a minus and risk hitting a friend.

Posted by: Success Warrior | 02/10/2009 at 08:21 AM

Since we now have the froggies outnumbered and my rocks aren’t having much of an effect, I decide to risk personal bodily injury and rush towards the nearest frog. My goal is to run full speed, put my shoulder down and bowl him over from the side.

ooc: let me know what I need to roll. Is it 1 d20 again?

Posted by: Lynette | 02/10/2009 at 04:31 PM

Yes, d20.

Posted by: Success Warrior | 02/10/2009 at 04:41 PM

View
Protected by Killer Frogs - Round 4

John scrambled down the embankment from the path to come around Alan’s left side (;;; I believe you meant Alan since Mark is safely out of harm’s way taking Codeine and shooting rounds into the crowd). John took a swipe with his baton but came up empty.

Alan tried a roundhouse kick but the kick glanced harmlessly off the frog’s leg.

Mark took aim as best he could, going low since the frogs were now surrounded by his friends. The round hit into the wet dirt and disappeared.

The syncronized attacking frogs attacked Alan and Brian and synchronized their misses nicely.

Lynette chucked another rock at the one attacking Brian but now that the frog was dodging around fighting two people, the rock missed. Barely, but it plunked into the mud.

Brian swung his cool machete with all his might, missing the frog, barely missing Alan, and taking himself staggering around about 270 degrees. He did manage to stay on his feet.

Rick moved to where the frog would have to divide its attention between two attackers (plus incoming bullets and rocks). He tried an uppercut to the ribs as he made his move but the frog was able to dodge the shot.

Posted at 04:02 PM in Base, Level 1 | Permalink Comments You can follow this conversation by subscribing to the comment feed for this post.

well since I really don’t WANT to hit my friends with bullets I’m going for the flying tackle of the froggies…hoping to take one to the ground and at least control it a little bit….

and I roll a 5….guess I’m just playing in the mud!

Posted by: mark | 02/11/2009 at 07:27 AM

Well I’m in it now. No real options but to try to hit the thing again with my baton.

OOC: Rolled a 15.

Posted by: John | 02/11/2009 at 07:47 AM

ooc: I’m confused. Did I get my response to the last post in too late? If so, then I guess last post’s move will be this post’s move. Does that makes sense?

Posted by: Lynette | 02/11/2009 at 09:55 AM

OOC: are here special rules about rolling a 1? Can I attack this round?

I rotate a further 90 degrees so I’m facing my opponent again, and I take another swing… If I fail four times in a row, I’m going to withdraw and bandage my wounds before this swamp poison kills me.

OOC: I rolled a “1” again…

That’s it! Screw you guys, I’m goin’ home. Killer frogs is where I draw the line.

Posted by: bex | 02/11/2009 at 01:59 PM

Lynette, yes the last one was too late for that post so I did a rock throw for you and yes it makes sense that your tackle move is on this turn. Did you do your d20 roll for the ramming move?

Bex, my all time favorite Cartman quote. There are no official rules for the roll of a 1 but I’m old school and that’s a fumble to me. Spinning around was just a dramatic bit that had no game mechanics too it. It is possible to fall down or hit your friends though, as I’m sure you’ll find out since you’re the master of rolling 1’s.

Posted by: Success Warrior | 02/11/2009 at 03:22 PM

OOC: I like to think of myself as “pre-disastered.” I’m rolling so many 1’s now, that I’ll be sure to roll a 20 when heroism is called for… but, since I’m out for the next 2 rounds - and probably flung my machete into he lake by now - I might as well bandage my arm.

Posted by: bex | 02/11/2009 at 09:57 PM

My plan is simple. Since shooting the froggie is still out, I’m just going to pistol whip the damned thing.

OOC: 19 . . . that ought to do something. Do we also roll for damage?

Posted by: CV Rick | 02/12/2009 at 12:01 AM

I’ve been rollling your damage but you’re welcome to it. d4.

Posted by: Success Warrior | 02/12/2009 at 04:59 AM

OOC: Since I don’t know or understand the game mechanics, I’m never sure if my attack roll succeeds or fails – - so many times the damage roll won’t be necessary. How would you like this handled?

Damage roll = 3.

Posted by: CV Rick | 02/12/2009 at 08:05 AM

OOC: Whether or not we hit depends on what difficulty is assigned to hitting a particular opponent. So far we haven’t been able to bracket the difficulty very well because all of our hits have been in the really high range. My 12 missed, and the lowest roll that we know hit was an 18. Luckily this time I rolled a 15 which should narrow the range down one way or the other. Then we’ll know better about when we should go ahead and roll damage.

Until we go up against something else with a different difficulty rating.

Posted by: John | 02/12/2009 at 12:27 PM

OOC: in which case, I’ll just keep rolling 1s, 2s, and 4s, and hopefully the monster will laugh itself to death…

Posted by: bex | 02/12/2009 at 05:20 PM

View
Protected by Killer Frogs - Round 5

John took another swipe with his ASP, managing to hit the frog this time. Alan tried to punch the thing but got no joy.

Mark holstered up and came charging in, thinking that the frog had no where to go. Mark was right and had he not ended up on his hands and knees at the frog’s feet, the thing might have been taken to the ground.

The frog lashed out at Brian who couldn’t spin back around fast enough to bring his arm up for protection. The frog’s claws dug deep into Brian’s back, raking across his ribs. (-8 hp, need d20 Fort save).

The other frog tried a back hand swipe at John. One webbed foot slipped in the mud and the attack looked far more like a reach for balance than any sort of offensive move.

Lynette came charging in behind Mark and wasn’t able to get all the way to the frog. She ended up pushing Mark up against the creature’s legs. Mark looked up thinking that you could feed a couple of French families with those suckers.

Brian spun back around, racked with pain and still slipping on the mud, he made a mighty swing with his machete sending it flying. It glanced off of Alan’s shoulder and flew out into the lake, splashing a couple feet from shore. Probably the safest place for the machete for the time being. (-1 hp to Alan)

Rick used the butt end of the slide on his Glock to smack the frog in the back of the head. It felt and sounded like a good blow but the frog didn’t give up its fight.

Posted at 02:35 PM in Base, Level 1 | Permalink Comments You can follow this conversation by subscribing to the comment feed for this post.

Since that seems to be working, I’ll crack the frog over the head one more time and if he falls to the ground I’ll scream at him, “And Stay Down!”

OOC: My attack roll was good . . . damage, not so much.

Posted by: CVRick | 02/14/2009 at 10:24 AM

OOC: I’m down a total of 11 HP… still sanding, but pretty hurt. Rolled another 10 on my FORT save. Not sure if that’s good or bad.

If I can safely withdraw from melee, I’ll do that. Otherwise I’ll just punch the frog since I fumbled my weapon. I’ll roll attack dice just in case.

OOC: I rolled a 14

That one might actually connect!

Posted by: bex | 02/14/2009 at 01:38 PM

OOC: By the way… if you use this URL to the dice server:

http://www.rpglibrary.org/software/securedice/?dq=1&ds=20&dt=1&cc=alanrowley@bttd.net

It will pre-fill the form with Alan’s email address, and one d20 roll.

Posted by: bex | 02/14/2009 at 01:40 PM

;;; Added the new dice roll into the sidebar under Game Tools.

Posted by: Success Warrior | 02/14/2009 at 01:57 PM

OOC: it looks like we have a difficulty of between 12 and 15 on these suckers. Good to know.

Feeling invincible and buoyed by this frog’s apparent lack of martial prowess, I’ll take another swing with the baton.

OOC: Rolled a 10, so that’s a miss.

Posted by: John | 02/15/2009 at 12:36 PM

I crawl towards the frog and try to immobilize him by wrapping my arms around his legs.

Posted by: Lynette | 02/15/2009 at 09:23 PM

well since I’m looking at frog legs, I make a grab for them to try and trip it up….

I roll a 10…maybe I should throw myself into the lake after Brian’s machette?

Posted by: mark | 02/16/2009 at 06:19 AM

View
Protected by Killer Frogs - Round 6

John took another swipe with his baton, whiffing through empty air. Alan was able to plant a front kick squarely into the frog’s gut.

Mark reached out grabbed onto one of the frog’s legs hoping to hold it still long enough for someone to finish it off. The frog used its other leg to stomp down hard on Mark’s shoulder, freeing itself from the hold (-7 hp, no Fort save needed).

The other frog lashed out desperately at Alan slashing new wounds into his chest (-4 hp, Fort save).

Lynette crawled in by Mark and grabbed onto the leg that Mark had recently let go of. The frog shook his leg free of her grasp.

With the frog distracted by the attackers at its legs, Brian was able to back up a couple of steps.

Rick used the distraction to give the frog’s head a glancing smack with his gun.

Posted at 08:54 AM in Base, Level 1 | Permalink Comments You can follow this conversation by subscribing to the comment feed for this post.

I’m going to run and grab my machete this round, and come back into the battle BEHIND the frog that John’s attacking.

Its probably safer for me to do back attacks in my heavily wounded state… and in that position I should be able to hit either frog #1 or frog #2.

I’m guessing I’ll need to wait until next round to attack… but that’s what happens when you roll two 1s in a row!

Posted by: bex | 02/17/2009 at 10:48 PM

while rolling around in the mud I make another grab for the frog legs….trying again to bring it down

ooc: I roll a flipping 9….gawd I hate 1st level…

Posted by: mark | 02/18/2009 at 09:12 AM

With Brian out of the fight for a round and the frog distracted by the pecking at its legs I’m going to wait until it looks back up at me and then:

“POW!! Right in the kisser!”

By this time he has to at least be annoyed by me.

Posted by: CVRick | 02/18/2009 at 09:55 AM

I suppose I’ll swing again. Not much else to do in this situation.

OOC: Another 10. Should have kept shooting. I would have hit someone sooner or later…. ;)

Posted by: John | 02/18/2009 at 02:44 PM

I also continue to try to grab its legs to trip it up or immobilize it, hoping that those who are armed have a better chance.

Posted by: Lynette | 02/18/2009 at 07:00 PM

ooc: apparently john gets antsy when things don’t immediately die in his presence…

Posted by: bex | 02/18/2009 at 07:34 PM

Apparently.

I should have made the frogs a little better at attacking so this could all be over by now. =)

Posted by: Success Warrior | 02/19/2009 at 04:55 AM

OOC: eventually we’re going to bore these frogs to death. We’re as effective as a late-night How to Fight infomercial.

Posted by: CV Rick | 02/19/2009 at 12:11 PM

REXQUAN – DO!

Posted by: bex | 02/19/2009 at 08:28 PM

View

I'm sorry, but we no longer support this web browser. Please upgrade your browser or install Chrome or Firefox to enjoy the full functionality of this site.