Benders

Pick Up Your Litter.

The captain, or whatever he was, leaned down so that he could speak softly to Bex and Lynette as the coach came closer.

“The master of the coach isn’t the type to take on extra passengers, injured or not. If you can put a litter together quickly, I’ll have Blake hold back with you and you can attach it to his horse. You don’t want to be out in these woods when night falls, not in the condition yer in.”

;;; Sorry about the delay. I could have probably fit this one in. I was thinking ahead a post, which will probably take a bit of time to write up but I need to know if you’re going to approach the coach or not first.

Posted at 03:01 PM in Level 2, The Road | Permalink Comments You can follow this conversation by subscribing to the comment feed for this post.

Personally, even though the coach would be the better solution for Alan, I think that pushing the point is counterproductive. Lets put together a litter and worry about the mysterious “master of the coach” later. We need a safe place to think and regroup. And that’s not here in the woods.

Posted by: John | 06/23/2009 at 03:35 PM

I agree. As long as we have some protection with us and some transportation we’re good.

Posted by: Lynette | 06/23/2009 at 11:10 PM

“Thank you for your assistance! As you can see, my people are already putting a litter together, and we should be finished soon.”

We’ll get the hell away from the coach, and I’ll help Mark & John put together the stretcher for Alan.

Posted by: bex | 06/24/2009 at 08:52 AM

under breath but clearly audible “My people….”

Posted by: John | 06/24/2009 at 09:19 AM

I’ll continue to work on the litter….do I need to roll anything for that with my skills?

“my people” sheesh…now we’re Brian’s minions!

Posted by: mark | 06/24/2009 at 11:48 AM

There’s probably enough people working on the litter. Have all the bodies been thoroughly searched? I’m still wanting some water as well. So if there are still some pockets to go through, some water skins to gather, anything to loot, I’ll do that. If not, I guess I’ll wait for someone to need something with the litter.

Posted by: Lynette | 06/24/2009 at 03:00 PM

The kobolds don’t seem to have been carrying anything except their weapons and a few pieces of silver.

Posted by: Success Warrior | 06/25/2009 at 04:55 AM

Well then, I guess I’ll arm myself. Shield, spear, knife, whatever I can find.

Posted by: Lynette | 06/28/2009 at 10:50 AM

bueller? bueller? bueller?

Posted by: mark | 07/07/2009 at 06:24 AM

Today.

Posted by: Success Warrior | 07/07/2009 at 10:34 AM

View
How?

Two of the horsemen veered off to the south giving a short chase to the kobolds to make sure they kept on running. The other two slowed to a trot and then stopped in front of Bex. They didn’t say anything for what seemed like a long time as they looked over the scene. Dead kobolds, dying humans.

It did give John time to give Lynette a bit of bandage love.

Rick tried to look non-threatening with his MP5 ready, covering Bex in case the four horsemen meant harm. If it came to that, it would be ugly. The benders probably could have handled the little lizards if they weren’t still beat up from the frogs. It was nice to see something without scales but the benders were sorely beat up.

The other two horsemen came back to the road.

Mark made an odd find, or maybe not odd, considering they had just fought walking lizards. 35 coins that looked like they were made of silver. The slinger had used all his special rounds and just had the steel bullets left.

One of the horsemen finally spoke.

“Oddlot, arncha?”

Posted at 01:42 PM in Level 2, The Road | Permalink Comments You can follow this conversation by subscribing to the comment feed for this post.

Welcome back to the land of the conscious Lynette.

(OOC: I’m not feeling particularly chatty at the moment, so I’m going to keep my head down moving from person to person doing healing. It will take about 4 minutes per person to heal d4 hp. (This is by Taking 20, which guarantees me success.) Does it look like I’ll have that kind of time here? Bex just keep them talking…)

I’ll start with Alan since he’s obviously the worst off. HP gained = 1… D’oh… Well it “helped” some.

Posted by: John | 06/09/2009 at 03:23 PM

You can go ahead and roll for everyone and list them in order. We’ll see how well Bex buys time and see how many you make it through.

Posted by: Success Warrior | 06/09/2009 at 03:31 PM

fan-fucking-tastic… I knew I was going to need to learn a new frigging language… I don’t even know what hand gestures are rude… Probably the best thing to do in this scenario is to offer a gift of some sort. We’d be dead if it weren’t for these guys.

I will smile pleasantly, offer a polite bow of respect and thanks… then SLOWLY reach into my backpack and take out my binoculars. I will offer it to the man who spoke to me.

I’ll make a diplomacy check just to see if that works… adjusted, my rolled is 16. Yay! No fumble!

If he looks confused, I will show him how to use it… point to the far-off dead Kobold, and look at it through the binoculars.

Posted by: bex | 06/09/2009 at 04:17 PM

wait a sec… I just read the rules about “take 10” and “take 20.” I guess I wouldn’t have to roll; with my bonus I could just “take 10” every time I use diplomacy, and we’d never be worse off…

Posted by: bex | 06/09/2009 at 04:48 PM

Um… oh great diplomat… Forgive me if I’m wrong, but it sounded like he said something like “You’re an odd lot, aren’t you.”

Just sayin… :P

Posted by: John | 06/09/2009 at 05:59 PM

Treat Injury rolls: Lynette – 4 John – 3 Mark – 4 Brian – 1 Rick – 4

Posted by: John | 06/09/2009 at 06:11 PM

That is possible… but considering the fact that we just teleported through space and time, I wouldn’t expect that these folks speak English. I’m taking no chances until I’m comfortable with their customs and language.

Posted by: bex | 06/09/2009 at 06:38 PM

You’re in Oregon. They speak English in Oregon. ;)

Posted by: Success Warrior | 06/09/2009 at 09:23 PM

I’d say he said “odd laot aren’t you” but in a k-nigetly eeengliish way…I’ll just continue to search bodies and be as un obtrusive as posssible.

Posted by: mark | 06/10/2009 at 06:19 AM

ps I’M RICH, I TELLS YA ,RICH!

Posted by: mark | 06/10/2009 at 06:19 AM

I sit up blink and stare at the new arrivals. I attempt to get to my feet and join Bex. I raise my hand in greeting to the horsemen and turn to Bex saying low, “Who are these guys? Are we in the middle of some Ren Faire or something?” I give the horsemen my most winning smile.

Posted by: Lynette | 06/10/2009 at 10:12 AM

well, I’m still giving him my binoculars… something is REALLY messed up here. Lizards, horses, we ain’t in Kansas anymore. This is some kind of evil dead time warp thing…

I don’t know how they might react to our technology… they might be thankful, bored, or consider us to be witches. We’ll know more when we get to town.

“Thank you so much! We would have perished for sure if it weren’t for your arrival. Please accept this as a small token of gratitude… We are a bit lost; do you know of a town nearby where we can get supplies?”

Posted by: bex | 06/10/2009 at 02:13 PM

The leader of the group took the binoculars and looked through them. He pulled them from his eyes and looked at them and then at the kobold. He passed them off to the next horseman.

He listened to Bex with concentration.

“You can make Winterhaven by nightfall,” he said in his thick (Oregonian) accent and pointed off toward the west.

A horse-drawn coach was coming up the road from the east. The lead horseman waved for it to keep coming, coast clear.

“If you are well enough to walk, you may travel in our safety.” His brow furrowed as he looked at Alan. “We can’t wait. We are going to make Winterhaven this night.”

Posted by: Success Warrior | 06/11/2009 at 07:19 AM

I know I must look a mess but I try a smile again at the lead horseman and do a diplomacy check. “You have already saved our lives and we are in your debt, but our friend Alan is badly wounded. If he could ride on the coach we would be very grateful.” I smile again.

ooc: Maybe I don’t need to do this but I did it anyway… rolled a 10 so I’m guessing it didn’t work.

Posted by: Lynette | 06/11/2009 at 11:25 AM

“Lynette’s right. We need to see if we can get space on that coach for at least Alan and someone to go with him. He’s stabilized but there’s no way he’s going to be waking up anytime soon. And now we have 35 silver pieces thanks to Mark. That and some creative bartering should give us a place to hold up until we figure out what to do.”

Posted by: John | 06/11/2009 at 01:40 PM

“Our job is to guard the coach, not throw bodies on it. The lord of the coach would probably not appreciate such an act. I do wish we could help.”

Posted by: Success Warrior | 06/11/2009 at 07:53 PM

“Well, then we won’t keep you.” (Turning on to other business.) Somebody help me move Alan out of the road. Can someone find a couple of skinny straight trees. Maybe we can put together a stretcher to carry him in and make some progress towards town. I don’t think we should stay near the scene of the battle for long. It will attract too much attention.”

Posted by: John | 06/11/2009 at 09:08 PM

“We are well enough to walk, but I’m afraid my friend is not… might we be able to lash him to one of your horses? We can certainly reward your kindness.”

“If not, could we borrow an axe to cut down some small trees? If we make a stretcher for our friend, we should be able to carry him to Winterhaven by nightfall…”

Posted by: bex | 06/12/2009 at 04:59 PM

“And we should gather up all the unbroken javelins and, hell, even the sling and sling bullets from #6. More weaponry is better than less.”

OOC: Javelins only require Simple Weapons feat so any one of us could use them. Sling isn’t one of the listed weapons, to the DM will need to make a determination as to which feat is necessary. Archaic? Simple?

Posted by: John | 06/15/2009 at 03:16 PM

as long as we ditch the javelins when we get to town… nothing more pathetic than trying to look tough with a Kobold spear ;-)

Posted by: bex | 06/15/2009 at 04:07 PM

Yeah, I was thinking I should grab a spear, but I haven’t given up on this coach just yet. I may not be the most gorgeous woman on the planet but I’m also not chopped liver and might be downright hot in a medieval town. I’m trying to figure out what I can do to kick in some good old fashioned chivalry from the lord of the coach. Any suggestions that wouldn’t involve me getting into that coach alone with him?

Posted by: Lynette | 06/16/2009 at 12:33 PM

@lynette: you can certainly woo the lord in the coach, that would be helpful no matter what. However, it is probably best to lash Allan’s (now stabilized) body to a horse, rather than try to confiscate the coach as an ambulance.

If you need backup, I will pretend to be your brother who thinks nobody is good enough for you.

We can pay for their help… and we could help out in a scuffle even. If we need to stop on occasion to re-heal Alan or build a stretcher, we can certainly do so.

however… if a horse ride is fatal to Alan, then I’d argue we have 3 options:

1) take the lord of the coach hostage with a combination of charm, pity, and boomsticks, and demand safe passage to Nighthaven (or wherever)

2) leave Allan to die

3) try to make a stretcher and get to Nighthaven before the short-sword Kobolds regroup and kill us all

If my appeal to the horseman fails, I’d argue that #1 is the safest alternative… followed by #2. The #3 option is almost certain to get us all killed.

So… if Alan can’t survive the trip, and everybody is OK with the possibility of being tortured to death, we are left with taking the lord hostage and shooting a horse or two to let them know we mean business.

I’m chaotic, so I’m up for anything… but I’m also brutally realistic. Our options are (in my preferred order): peace; death to a useless upper class Nobel; death to Alan; or death to us all.

I’ll wait patiently for the GM’s response…

Posted by: bex | 06/16/2009 at 07:56 PM

I vote for whatever doesn’t get us killed…trying to take on the knig-gets will get us killed…

and what money would we use to bribe with, you don’t know of any money as of yet….

@alan: what else have i found as I loot the bodies? I’ll pick up anyhing that looks usefull to this D&D playing mind

Posted by: mark | 06/17/2009 at 06:23 AM

Just the weapons and the silver.

Posted by: Success Warrior | 06/23/2009 at 02:44 PM

View
The Cavalry. No Seriously, a Cavalry?

Bex rushed to help John and Rick rushed to help Mark. Both uber-bolds swirled to meet these new attackers lashing out hard with their short swords (incredibly hard – 8 hp to Bex and 9 hp to Rick). Swirling left them open to attacks by John and Mark who both hit but it was obviously not a fair exchange.

These short bastards with short swords were definitely going to be the death of all the benders. Escape seemed unlikely and would leave fallen comrades behind. The humans might be able to run faster than the kobolds but also might take a javelin in the back.

The sound of horses hooves broke through the grunts and shouts of combat and pain. coming from the same direction that the benders had come from were four guys on horses, dressed like they just left a renaissance festival and waving swords over their heads.

The kobolds didn’t hesitate. They took off running south toward the trees.

;;; Pursue?

Posted at 12:06 PM in Level 2, The Road | Permalink Comments You can follow this conversation by subscribing to the comment feed for this post.

Hell no. Alan’s been bleeding for four or five rounds now. We need to get him bandaged and stabilized if it isn’t too late. And then bring Lynette around. And we’re all pretty damaged. We’re in no shape to try and chase them. Hell if things don’t go well with the knights we could be SOL. Bex or Rick or Mark: we need to get everything useful off these guys (especially the one that had the sling and the molitov cocktails – #6), preferably before we have to explain ourselves to the Apocalypse Boys (four horsemen – get it…) bearing down on us. It may all get taken away from us, but then it might not and having some more equipment would be a GOOD thing.

OOC: So Treat Injury – need a 15 to stabilize a dying character. Here goes – first try=17 !! Yay! Alan is a lucky bastard. He’s stable at whatever negative hp he got to. If we have another round before the k-niggits arrive, I’ll try to revive Lynette. Lemme know. It’ll take significantly more than a round or two to get Alan back on his feet.

And Rick, I would keep my finger near the trigger on that lovely weapon you’ve got there. A little display from your magic boomstick may be needed to get some respect from our rescuers.

Posted by: John | 06/05/2009 at 01:01 PM

Do I get an attack of opportunity when the kobold flees? If so, then I’d suggest you do the same, John, so maybe we can take him down.

6 probably had all the good stuff, and is likely long gone. The horsemen might be able to pursue, but we probably can’t.

FYI – historically speaking, men on horseback are mindless killers. I’ll try to use diplomacy when they get close, but if that fails, we may need the boomstick.

Posted by: bex | 06/05/2009 at 07:26 PM

Withdrawing from battle doesn’t initiate an attack of opportunity. It’s possible that the DM could grant an attack while they are running away. Do what ya like, but I’m going to keep Alan alive.

Rick killed #6 with a perfect critical hit a couple of rounds ago. So he’s laying over there. Mark, why don’t you run around and strip the bodies. That way Brian can be ready to greet the horses and Rick can look tough with the gun.

Posted by: John | 06/06/2009 at 07:29 AM

John is right. The kobolds can withdraw without opening themselves up to attack. To continue to attack, you could move with them if your speed is equal to or greater than theirs or you could switch to ranged attack and try to get a shot off before they get into the trees.

Posted by: Success Warrior | 06/06/2009 at 11:05 AM

I’ll go and try and salvage what I can find off the dead bodies…starting with #6…

ooc:”hey ma, look at me! I’m LOOTIN!”

Posted by: mark | 06/06/2009 at 11:50 AM

Sounds good… I’ll keep my gun holstered, drop the kobold spear, and raise up my right hand to greet the cavalry when they arrive. Let me know when I need to make a diplomacy check.

Based on this scene, I’m not hopeful that we will find more ammo in town…

I’m down to 3hp, so I could use some bandaging as well.

Posted by: bex | 06/07/2009 at 11:30 AM

View
LotR - Round 4

John swung again with his table leg, missing the kobold with a mighty woosh. Mark tried bashing one with a rock but had no luck.

The two Ubers made equally impressive empty slashes of the air with their short swords.

The Slinger zipped a bullet at Rick, hitting him very squarely (7 hp damage).

Bex, being Bex, shot and came closer to hitting a frogman still standing in Minnesota than he came to hitting a lizard.

Rick fired back at the guy that just pelted him and scored a hit to return the favor (4 hp damage).

;;; I’m going to be trying to resolve combat each day from now on, both to help speed things up and because I’m going to be out of town next Tuesday.

Hit Points:

John – 10 Alan – 0 Mark – 7 Bex – 11 Lynette – 0 Rick – 21

Posted at 07:35 AM in Level 2, The Road | Permalink Comments You can follow this conversation by subscribing to the comment feed for this post.

ooc: at this point I think I should disarm Brian and use the pistol instead of him!

I grab a handy rock AGAIN and go for #3….

and I roll a 13…I doubt I missed by that little last time, so I assume I missed again…

Posted by: mark | 05/29/2009 at 08:18 AM

I wonder where that last bullet is going to land?

I’ll do this the same as last time… firing at #9 with the Glock 17… Rolled a 12. We’re not looking so hot, so I’m going to use an action point.

Rolled a 2, for a total of 14… hopefully that hit!

Again… #6 seems to be a really tough one… Rick hit him twice for pretty serious damage. I’d wager he has some pretty cool stuff.

OOC: how are the Uber kobolds looking? I know #9 is wounded, is #3 hurt at all?

Posted by: bex | 05/29/2009 at 09:00 AM

(Maintaining Defensive Fighting) Swing table leg at #9. (rolled a 15. Hit?) I hope this guy is close to dying. And so does Alan… on the ground bleeding… within arm’s reach of the one with the MedKit in his backpack…

Posted by: John | 05/29/2009 at 10:02 AM

Mark, you assume correctly.

Bex, you will be taking a -4 modification for firing at a target that is in melee combat with your team mate. Are you sure you want to take this route?

John, roll for damage.

Posted by: Success Warrior | 05/29/2009 at 11:01 AM

OOC: John’s damage roll = 4hp to Uber-bold #9

Posted by: John | 05/29/2009 at 12:18 PM

no, I don’t want the -4 penalty… I didn’t know that…

I’ll use the spear I picked up last time as a club, and use that against #9.

Should I re-roll my attack?

Posted by: bex | 05/30/2009 at 10:51 AM

No, we’ll use your roll and I’m going to assume that if you knew about the flanking rule, you would move to be across from John.

Roll d8 for damage.

Posted by: Success Warrior | 05/30/2009 at 11:05 AM

John smacked Uber-Nine and could tell that there was a lot (very much a lot) of fight left in this guy.

Mark missed again.

The kobolds knew they were the better trained, better armed, and more mentally prepared for a fight to the death and took courage from everything in their favor.

The uber-bolds lashed out viciously, slicing deep on Mark and John (4 hp to Mark, 8 hp to John).

The slinger pelted Rick with a bullet again (4 hp damage).

Bex moved to where he and John could flank the kobold, splitting its attention and give them a definite combat advantage. Bex hit the kobold (5 hp damage).

Rick fired back at the slinger hitting the lizard straight through the heart (24 hp damage, a perfect critical hit).

Posted by: Success Warrior | 05/31/2009 at 12:23 PM

ooc: new round coming or are we maintining this thread? I’m not gonn amake it thru this next round…

Posted by: mark | 06/01/2009 at 05:44 AM

Staying on this thread for now.

Posted by: Success Warrior | 06/01/2009 at 05:51 AM

Shit. With only 2 hp left, I have to go total defense (+4 to defense, 18 total). This should at least continue to give bex the flanking bonus to his attacks with that spear since I’m staying in melee. If he hits me again, I’m down.

Posted by: John | 06/01/2009 at 07:31 AM

well in that case…I’m fighting for my life here…

rock, don’t fail me now!

another 13

commence…

Posted by: mark | 06/02/2009 at 07:22 AM

that should read (didn’t like my HTML tags):

well in that case…I’m fighting for my life here… (drum roll) rock, don’t fail me now! (\drum roll)

another 13

commence… (taps)

Posted by: mark | 06/02/2009 at 07:25 AM

@mark: you might want to consider using an “action point.” You should have 6 by now, and you can use 1 to add a d6 roll to your attack or damage.

Otherwise, we’re probably all dead…

Posted by: bex | 06/03/2009 at 08:59 AM

I would second that. (With the caveat that I don’t think we can add it to damage. But definitely on the attack.)

Posted by: John | 06/03/2009 at 10:35 AM

ok I’ll do that…

my d6 roll is:

3

so 13+3=16

I assume I hit then…damage is a d6 I also assume and that is: 3 points

Well oh great and powerful GM, how’d I do?

Posted by: mark | 06/03/2009 at 11:50 AM

ooc: can also use another action point to roll another d6 for damage adionally?

Posted by: mark | 06/03/2009 at 11:51 AM

my mistake… an “action point” can only be used to boost a d20 roll, which means attacks/saves/skills, but not damage.

Posted by: bex | 06/04/2009 at 09:07 AM

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/adventuring/actionpoints.htm

Posted by: bex | 06/04/2009 at 09:07 AM

View
LotR - Round 3

John bashed the lizard’s head clean in. Well, it wasn’t clean but it was a job well done considering the weapon was a table leg.

Alan and Lynette continued their nap. It was perfect weather for an afternoon nap during a hike. Poor timing but perfect weather.

Mark chucked a javelin at the nearest kobold, nicking it.

One uber-bold went for John and the other went for Mark, hoping to return the favor for the javelin. Short swords flashed. John was hit (5 hp damage) and Mark was not.

The one with the sling chucked a Molatov cocktail and Rick. The small flask sailed over Rick’s head and burst in flames on the other side.

The final kobold tossed a javelin at Bex. The javelin zipped between Rick and Bex, scarily but harmlessly.

Bex fired at the uber-bold that was now attacking John (and doing quite will, I might add). The shot missed.

Rick took a step forward, flipped the MP5 to auto, and fired a burst* at the javelin and sling guy, hitting them both. The one that had been tossing javelins fell to the ground bleeding.

  • For those of you keeping track of the rules, I made of small modification to the Autofire rule. The rule as it’s written allows an attack against a 10’ x 10’ area. I have changed that to 100 square feet to allow for strafing, which seems like a common use for autofire (at least from a Hollywood perspective).

Hit Points:

John – 11 Alan – 0 Mark – 7 Bex – 11 Lynette – 0 Rick – 28

Posted at 01:07 PM in Level 2, The Road | Permalink Comments You can follow this conversation by subscribing to the comment feed for this post.

I have a clear shot on #9, right? I’ll fire again with my Glock 17…

f-f-f-fumble!!!!

Who didn’t see THAT coming, eh? At least everybody else is hitting…

And that #6 guy is a preeeeeety tough Kobold… he must know something.

Posted by: bex | 05/26/2009 at 01:17 PM

OOC: First off a correction to my hit points. Last post you had me at 14, when it should have been 15. This time, since I lost 5, I should be at 10, rather than 11.

OUCH! That hurt! Engage defensive fighting (-4 to attack, +2 to defense). (Just for completeness, my melee attack bonus gives me a total of -2 to hit and my defense becomes 16).

(OOC: For my attack I rolled an 8. What the hell, I’ll burn another action point – have 10 of them lying around anyway. Rolled a 4 for a total attack roll of 12. Maybe but probably not a hit. Let me know if I should roll damage.)

Posted by: John | 05/26/2009 at 03:27 PM

ooc: is “defensive fighting” a skill or a feat? I cant find it… does it have a different name?

Posted by: bex | 05/26/2009 at 04:03 PM

Neither. It’s available to everyone fighting hand to hand combat and it’s called “Fighting Defensively”.

Posted by: Success Warrior | 05/26/2009 at 04:17 PM

I grab a handy rock and aim for #3

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE

12…do I hit?

I might be more than snoozing after this…

Posted by: mark | 05/26/2009 at 04:39 PM

ooc: found it:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsincombat.htm#fightingDefensivelyasaStandardAction

ooc: maybe you should put this link in the sidebar as well… I’ve found it helpful on frequent occasions:

http://www.d20srd.org/index.htm

Posted by: bex | 05/26/2009 at 05:48 PM

View
LotR - Round 2

John burst out of the bushes and attacked with his table leg and missed.

Alan was able to slash one of the ‘roid rage kobolds (5 hp damage).

Mark used the South Park “duck and cover” routine and moved behind the guys with the guns.

John’s kobold retaliated with a glancing strike with its spear (1 hp damage).

The one attacking Alan nearly sliced the human open and the poor guy dropped to the ground in a pool of his own blood (9 hp damage).

The one attacking Lynette also scored a good hit (7 hp damage).

Another javelin was thrown at Mark and missed.

The farthest one away lobbed a Molatov cocktail at Bex, flames splashed onto his legs (2 hp, roll Reflex save).

Bex took a shot and missed.

Lynette reached for a javelin so she could defend herself and took a pommel to the back of the head for her trouble, knocking her unconscious (7 hp damage).

Rick took a shot with the MP5 and missed.

;;; Sorry for the short post.  Have to get ready for a birthday party.

Hit points:

John – 14 Alan – 0 Mark – 7 Bex – 11 Lynette – 0 Rick – 28

Posted at 01:01 PM in Level 2, The Road | Permalink Comments You can follow this conversation by subscribing to the comment feed for this post.

The ‘roid rage kobolds have drawn my ire… I’ll hold position and fire at the one Alan hit earlier (I believe #9?)

Rolled a 7… since last time I missed with an 11, I’m not wasting an action point here.

Reflex save was 13… I think that works because my DEX is 12, correct??? Do I take less damage?

Rick: the MP5 does have an ‘autofire’ setting, and if you have the ‘advanced firearms’ feat you can use it without penalty. You could hit both 9 & 3 with that…

Posted by: bex | 05/22/2009 at 04:38 PM

Not looking good for the visitors… Ok, well, I’m here and I might as well keep trying to bash this kobolds head in.

(OOC: sweet! 17. I think that hits so I’ll roll damage. I’m assuming the table leg is treated as a club for d6 damage. Yay! 6 points w00t!)

(OOC: Bex your save succeeds or fails based on the difficulty of the save as assigned by the DM not your Dex score. Your Dex gives you bonues but doesn’t determine the number you need to get.)

Posted by: John | 05/24/2009 at 06:15 AM

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Posted by: Lynette | 05/24/2009 at 07:50 AM

also, since I didn’t use a “move” action, I’m going to pick up a javelin with my left hand. In case the ‘roid kobolds close, I’ll be needing a melee weapon.

Posted by: bex | 05/24/2009 at 10:59 AM

John’s table leg caved in the little the lizard head of the kobold.

Alan laid there in a peaceful bliss.

Posted by: Success Warrior | 05/24/2009 at 02:24 PM

I pick up the javelin that missed me and toss it back at #3…

Drum roll please…

SWEET! 19!

Posted by: mark | 05/25/2009 at 01:49 PM

Roll d6 for damage.

Posted by: Success Warrior | 05/25/2009 at 03:35 PM

oooooo….1 pt….oooooo

Posted by: mark | 05/26/2009 at 06:57 AM

View
Lizards on the Road (LotR) - Round 1

John made a break for the shrubs and trees at the side of the road. The brush dragged at him making it seem like slow going even though he was trying to speed his way through to the other side. He was pretty much out of sight though and that might just save him from the javelins.

Alan pulled the SEAL’s boot knife and charged the nearest kobold. No sense waiting for the javelins to take flight. Taking a reverse grip, he covered the distance easily, and slashed across the creatures throat with all his might, nearly severing the creature’s head.

Mark pulled out a rock and chucked it at the kobold on his side of the road. The rock hit the creature right between the eyes. The kobold stood there for a second, cross-eyed, as if he was trying to see the bruise, and then it feel backward unconscious.

The three remaining kobolds heaved their javelins into the air toward the benders, one each caught a piece of Lynette and Rick. The last sailed past Mark.

Three more kobolds appeared from behind the boulders down the road.

The firsthung back using the boulders as cover as he grabbed a small ceramic globe off his bandoleer and zipped it at Mark with a sling. Mark was able to duck under the globe and it shattered behind him, spilling out what looked like a whole bottle of Elmer’s.

The other two, the two that looked like they were kobolds on ‘roids, charged down the road with short swords and shields. They snarled as they ran full speed to cover the distance. They split as they got closer with one attacking Alan and one attacking Mark. Both were able to score a slashing wound against the humans.

Bex moved up next to Rick and capped a round off at the nearest kobold, hitting the poor little guy dead in the chest, crumpling him.

Lynette chucked the chair wheel at the last standing kobold from the group on her right, bouncing the orb off the boulder.

Rick shrugged out of his pack and grabbed the MP5 and took a shot at the closest kobold. The shot missed and traveled into the forest.

;;; Shooting requires line of sight.  Line of sight is determined by going from the center of your square to the center of the target square.  It can't pass through people or boulders.  Using boulders for cover from slings and javelins gives a +5 to Defense.  Shrubs are +2.

Green markers represent the original javelin throwers. Orange are the short sword guys. Pink is the slinger.

Hit Points:

John – 15 Alan – 9 Mark – 7 Bex – 13 Lynette – 14 Rick – 20

Posted at 12:29 PM in Level 2, The Road | Permalink Comments You can follow this conversation by subscribing to the comment feed for this post.

My target is #5. I want to take out the javelin thrower keeping the rocks between me and #6 and #7. I’ve got my table leg ready.

OOC: Will I be able to get through the brush with my move action this round and still be able to attack. Or will I have to wait until next round to attack?

Posted by: John | 05/19/2009 at 12:49 PM

;;; Moving through the brush costs 2 squares. You can move 6 and still attack so you’ll be able to get there.

Roll d20 for attack.

Posted by: Success Warrior | 05/19/2009 at 12:56 PM

OOC: hmmm…. While I don’t know for sure, I’m thinking that a 5 is not likely to hit. So I’m going to spend an action point to try and improve my chances. Rolled a 6 on the action point. So my combined roll for the attack is 11.

Posted by: John | 05/19/2009 at 01:06 PM

OOC: my hit points should be 13… At first level I has 12, and took 7 points in wounds fighting the frog men. Then John healed 4 HP of my wounds in the conference room, and I gained another 4 HP when I leveled…

http://successwarrior.typepad.com/benders/2009/03/waiting.html

Posted by: bex | 05/19/2009 at 02:03 PM

I’m going to move diagonal northwest 3 squares, so I’m behind the brush, and I’ll fire at kobol #6. I should get a +2 to defense, any penalty to attack? If so, I’ll move southwest diagonal 1 square to get out of the brush, but not give Kobol #5 an attack of opportunity.

Attack roll was a total of 5… that ain’t going to do it.

I will also use an action point to improve my chances: add 10 for a total of 15. That should hopefully do it!

Posted by: bex | 05/19/2009 at 02:11 PM

Bex, you’re right about the hit points.

Spending an action point allows you to add 1d6 to the initial roll. Reroll for you action point.

Posted by: Success Warrior | 05/19/2009 at 02:18 PM

rolled a 6! Yay! I hope!

That will give me a total of 11…

Posted by: bex | 05/19/2009 at 02:24 PM

MARK: you’re not looking so hot… 2 HP?

Posted by: bex | 05/19/2009 at 02:28 PM

Even when he has full hit points, he doesn’t look so hot.

If my records are correct, Mark and Rick are the only ones that haven’t rolled for 2nd level hit points.

Posted by: Success Warrior | 05/19/2009 at 02:55 PM

Mark you need to get out of melee. (OOC: Withdraw is a full round action and you go pretty early in terms of initiative that doesn’t prompt an attack of opportunity if you don’t get close to another enemy. So do that and pull back behind Rick and Bex. Lynette may want to go with you since she doesn’t have any melee weapons.) If Alan and Rick can hold those two uber kobolds at bay for a round, I’ll try to dispatch this javelin thrower and come in from the flank.

Posted by: John | 05/19/2009 at 03:06 PM

I’m going to do what John suggests…I also will send my HP roll for lvl 2 to our wonderful GM…

Posted by: mark | 05/19/2009 at 03:51 PM

ok the rool of the die adds 5, yes 5! to my HP!

Posted by: mark | 05/19/2009 at 05:24 PM

I agree with John…

I’ll focus on #6 and #7 from the brush… John has #5. Now that Mark has an extra 5 HP, I think he’s kosher staying in melee this round ;-)

Lynette: don’t use a ranged weapon, otherwise the kobold gets an attack of opportunity. You’re better off doing “total defense” unless you have a melee weapon…

http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/modern/smack/combatactions.html

Posted by: bex | 05/19/2009 at 10:15 PM

OCC: can the GM actually tell us the damage he rolls against us by chance?

Posted by: mark | 05/20/2009 at 06:42 AM

I can do that.

Posted by: Success Warrior | 05/20/2009 at 06:59 AM

I will do as suggested and fall back into a defensive position. If a weapon falls within range, I’ll grab it.

Posted by: Lynette | 05/20/2009 at 12:26 PM

Good point, Lynette… somebody hit you with a spear. Odds are good that you should be able to pick it up and defend yourself with it.

Although I believe picking up a weapon / object means the Kobold gets an attack of opportunity.

Also… do we get to roll damage? I’m not sure if my 11 hit or not.

Posted by: bex | 05/20/2009 at 12:43 PM

Lynette was hit with a javelin. Picking up an object does allow an attack of opportunity.

Withdrawing does not allow an attack of opportunity. There are other javelins around with even more to come. =)

John and Bex both missed with 11s so no damage roll is necessary. These kobolds are dodgey little guys and I’m quite surprised at the damage you did in the first round.

Posted by: Success Warrior | 05/20/2009 at 01:00 PM

Even with an attack of opportunity, I’d rather give them one shot and have a weapon after that. So if there’s a spear and/or a shield nearby, I’d like to go for it. Do I need to roll?

Posted by: Lynette | 05/20/2009 at 03:58 PM

No roll necessary to pick up a javelin.

The closest shield is Mark in his kevlar vest. =)

Posted by: Success Warrior | 05/20/2009 at 04:28 PM

Mark, are you still planning on withdrawing? If so, to where?

Posted by: Success Warrior | 05/20/2009 at 04:53 PM

I’m going to withdraw to behind Rick and Brian…the guys with the ranged weapons…rocks will only do me so much good…on the way I’ll grab a few more or any spend javelins that may be laying around…

Posted by: mark | 05/21/2009 at 06:30 AM

View
Et Tu Oregon?

The benders started their hike west to find a city and a way home. The weather was wonderful for a walk in the woods. It was warm but the trees kept them in the shade nearly all the time. The breeze was soft and cool in their faces. A squirrel chattered at the hikers for violating his territory before disappearing up a tree.

The benders chatted about the night’s events, the energy web, and all the possibilities that it brought about (good and bad). They were supposed to be having these visits while paddling back toward the cars but other than the fact that they were 2,000 miles away from where they started, it was a pleasant walk.

At least it was a pleasant walk for a couple of hours. Then things turned to freaky shit once again. At least it was daylight and there was no confusion about what jumped from behind the boulders at the side of the trail.

Well, there was some confusion since the benders had never seen anything like this outside the pages of the Monster Manual but there was no confusion as to whether they were human or nor, or friendly or not.

Short, bipedal, lizard looking things came from around the boulders, carrying javelins, spears, and shields. They were small but looked menacing as they posted up to chuck javelins at the benders.

;;;  I randomized the marching order since it was "just a hike" at this point.

I tried to make the combat grid easier to see, using first initials for you guys and numbers for the bad guys.

No surprise round for the kobolds because they broke cover too soon.

Roll initiative and state your action.

Posted at 12:38 PM in Level 2, The Road | Permalink Comments You can follow this conversation by subscribing to the comment feed for this post.

OOC: FYI, Initiative rolls in d20 are a dex check to which you add your dex modifier. Order is from highest to lowest and stays the same for the rest of the encounter except if someone does something (delaying their action or readying an action for a particular cicumstance) that changes their place in the order.

Initiative is 17. I’m breaking for the right side of the road. I will try to sneak through the trees/bushes there to flank kobolds 1, 4, and 5. Hoping all the while that 2,3,6,8, and 9 are off fishing someplace….

Posted by: John | 05/15/2009 at 02:00 PM

I rolled a lovely 3, +1 from dex, for a total of 4. Lovely.

We get a ‘move’ action and a ‘attack’ action, correct? I’ll move to the square above rick so we’re side by side, and I’ll fire my Glock 17. Rolled to hit: 21

FUCK. YEAH.

Posted by: bex | 05/15/2009 at 04:10 PM

forgot to say… I was firing at #4

Posted by: bex | 05/15/2009 at 04:11 PM

Holy crap! What the…. I take a step or two back out of sheer shock and terror. This should put me near the rocks behind me. I start fishing chair wheels out of my pocket and if I have time start hurling them and the closest thing… probably #1.

ooc: I don’t know why I, a fairly intelligent human being, get so freaked out by knowing what to roll. Perhaps it’s because it’s been 20 years since I played and maybe our DM coddled us by always telling us what to roll. I always feel so lost. So I’m going to roll 1d20 for initiative and 1d20 for damage, right? Wait, am I supposed to have an initiative value on my sheet? I don’t. I’m so lost

initiative rolled a 3 with no modifier attack: 13

Posted by: Lynette | 05/16/2009 at 01:53 PM

;;; You got the rolls right. I’ll try to be more specific in the future. Luckily, with a system with “D20” in the name, going that route is going to be right more times than not.

Posted by: Success Warrior | 05/16/2009 at 02:23 PM

awesome… then I’ll roll d20 for my damage ;-)

Posted by: bex | 05/16/2009 at 03:04 PM

So will I. Kobold javelins that do d20 damage. Sweet!

Posted by: Success Warrior | 05/16/2009 at 03:15 PM

HOLY SHITE! d20 damage for a freakin’ javelin?! I want some of those! Someone be a pincushion and catch some for me. ;)

Posted by: John | 05/17/2009 at 06:44 AM

OCC: desperatly trying to rememebr what I have on me…

initative roll of 8

Attack roll 20 (natural)!

guess it’s rock throwing time!

Posted by: mark | 05/18/2009 at 05:59 AM

oh and I try to move towards the bushes for SOME cover

Posted by: mark | 05/18/2009 at 06:00 AM

View
No Banjo Music.

The fresh air did wonders to make everyone feel better. Their stomachs had completely settled and in fact, a couple growled for some breakfast. Mark, Alan, and Bex were still feeling the injuries of the fight with the frogmen but everything else seemed good.

Lynette walked the path back and forth and side to side checking for clues for the direction of travel. Most of the discernable tracks were heading west.

Bex pulled his GPS from his backpack.  It seemed to take a long time for the satellites to find him but they finally did and they confirmed that he had guessed correctly.

The benders were in Oregon with the closest town, Roseburg, not too far to the west of them.

It seemed that the energy web did actually work, with the same accuracy of an arrow with no flights but amazing none the less. The benders had covered nearly 2,000 miles in a single step.

Absolutely amazing!

Posted at 07:36 AM in Level 2, The Road | Permalink Comments You can follow this conversation by subscribing to the comment feed for this post.

Oregon! Oh man, do you know how much that camera cost me and how much it’s going to cost me to go back and get it! Why’d I leave it in that tree?! At least I hope it’s still in that tree and not buried under all that mud and water.

Well, West it is, I guess. Tracks show West. GPS shows a town to the West. I can smell the bacon and eggs now.

Posted by: Lynette | 05/12/2009 at 10:43 AM

“You can replace the camera with the money you get from the movie deal based on the true story of the first cross country teleporters. Beam me to Oregon, Scotty.”

Posted by: Success Warrior | 05/12/2009 at 11:00 AM

Boo hoo… you lost a camera. I lost my most favorite machete in the world! I had a lot of sentimental attachment to that blade! ;-)

As the lady says, all clues point West… so away we go! I could use some food, and I should have some cash on me (we never really rolled that stuff)... otherwise we’ll have to make Mark dance for nickles.

I’m not certain what the gun laws are like in these parts, but I’d wager the submachine gun might be frowned upon in town. Rick: you might want to put that in your backpack for now.

Posted by: bex | 05/12/2009 at 11:10 AM

Rick: just to be clear, you should have a HK MP5 with one clip, 7 lb, and you need a ‘Restricted’ license for it… which I’m not sure you have ;-)

Posted by: bex | 05/12/2009 at 11:54 AM

You mean you didn’t calculate your wealth modifier Bex? :P

If we’re still someplace that accepts dollars (which it appears we are) we’ll be able to get food and stuff. If not, then we can have Mark dance for nickels.

West it is.

Posted by: John | 05/12/2009 at 03:42 PM

ooc: still have to figure out my level up deal, but….

I vote west as well, seeing as the odd things that have happened to us as of late, I’m gonna keep my eyes open for “oddities”....

Posted by: mark | 05/13/2009 at 06:26 AM

I did just calculate my wealth modifier… I’m “affluent” (+11), so a nice hotel & meal should be simple. Heck, I could even rent a truck and get us all back to Minneapolis without making a dent in my savings ;-)

Posted by: bex | 05/13/2009 at 10:47 AM

View
East vs. West.

Bex climbed up a tree to have a look around. There were trees, hills, and mountains as far as the eye could see in all directions. John, Rick, and Alan found pretty much the same thing in either direction on the road.

Mark was able to see scuffs and heel marks from hikers’ boots, some horse shoe marks, and occasional claw marks like there were dogs with the hikers or horses.

Everyone came back toward the center, although a new center was chosen to the west of the bender landing area so that they were upwind of all of the puke. The breeze felt cool on their faces and kept them safe from the haunting of last night’s dinner.

A decision had to be made. East or West.

“I agree with John,” Alan said. “If we can travel around the mountain, we should find water. From there we can decide whether to follow it downstream to civilization or stay on the road.”

;;; A word of warning for my NPCs. They don’t always give good advice. Don’t ever take them as any form of guidance from the DM. For this particular NPC, it’s easy because I get to just say what I personally believe.

Regardless of your choice, you should be getting your characters moved in level quickly because you are going to need your extra skills soon.

Posted at 08:05 AM in Level 2, The Keep | Permalink Comments You can follow this conversation by subscribing to the comment feed for this post.

OOC: So do we have the info that you mentioned about what’s coming up so we can make the decisions for next level? Or is there more you were planning on telling us?

Posted by: John | 05/08/2009 at 09:22 AM

;;; I don’t think there’s more to tell. Magic and monsters, dead ahead.

I just updated my character sheet and there isn’t really a whole lot that I could do with 1 Feat and 5 Skill Points so I just kept taking prerequisites for the Martial Artist class.

You will probably be on this plane for a couple of levels. You can focus on that or you can create a well-rounded character because who knows what the next plane will be like?

When you roll hit points, make sure I’m in on the email of the roll. If that roll is a 1 (Bex), reroll.

Leveling up was much easier than I feared after the chaos of character generation. Possible changes in base attack, defense, saving throws, a feat, a few skill points, hit points, and that was about it.

Posted by: Success Warrior | 05/08/2009 at 09:36 AM

ooc: Um, I’m not sure what I need to do to level up. Is that info in the guide? I’m feeling stupid.

Posted by: Lynette | 05/08/2009 at 03:46 PM

Again, I vote to take the direction on the road AWAY from the biggest mountain. That gives us the best chance of finding civilization before monsters.

Question: at what point can we start taking skills that are NOT like our normal selves? You mentioned the “martial artist class,” but I don’t see that anywhere as an available class. I thought we already picked our classes…?

Posted by: bex | 05/08/2009 at 04:32 PM

OOC: I think we’re at that point now, if I read his comments right. Martial Artis is one of the advanced classes. There are the 6 basic classes which we all chose between for our initial class. Every time we gain a level we have the option of going up in the same class or picking a new one (basic or advanced) as long as we meet the prereqs for it. It actually says in the rules that the only limit on the number of classes you can have is the number of classes available. But it does get silly after a point.

Lynette, go look in the rules where you looked to create your initial character. There should be a table that gives you info on what stuff you get if you go up to 2nd level in your basic class. Ex: I’m the Smart Hero and I’m going to 2nd level in it. So I move up to a +1 basic attack bonus, and my will save goes up to +2, I get a bonus feat, and add a +1 defense bonus. In addition, Smart Heroes get 9+Int modifier in new skill points to distribute to skills. Look for this kind of info for your character.

I think most of us will need at least one more levels worth of skills in our first class before we’ve put together what we need for a different one. But if you have advanced class(es) you want at some point, you have to lay the groundwork now so you can make the prereqs.

Posted by: John | 05/08/2009 at 08:34 PM

;;; I’m short on time so I’ll follow up on this tomorrow but John has the right of it. You can pick any of the six basic classes at every level. Need more skills, take a level of Smart Hero. Need hit points, take a level of Tough Hero.

He’s also right that most people will probably take 3 levels of their first class just to get the benefits they were looking for in that class but there is no rule.

The advanced classes are in a different section of the rules and there are prerequisites that must be achieved before you can take a level in these.

Posted by: Success Warrior | 05/08/2009 at 08:56 PM

I vote for following the road away from teh mountains…mountains have bears and yeti…or lord know what else here.

I mention to everyone the nice little tracks I found.

Posted by: mark | 05/11/2009 at 06:08 AM

ooc: I guess it’s good we leveled up because I looked at my character sheet and remembered I have some skill I forgot I had. So with that in mind.

I study the ground, searching an area we haven’t been tramping around in to see if the road shows any sings of recent travel and if I can determine vehicle and direction. If we choose to stick to the road, I’ll keep an eye out for any signs of tracks.

Posted by: Lynette | 05/11/2009 at 12:33 PM

View