Benders

Waiting.

A couple of hours passed as the campers waited in the conference room. The most exciting thing that happened was that the two guards were swapped out with two new guards. Graveyard shift had taken over. It looked like the group was going to be sleeping in the conference room.

Ceiling material? Polycarbonate. Anything in the fridge? Coffee creamer and 3 Diet Cokes. What do the walls feels like? Plastic. Table and chairs wood or metal or what? Wood table, plastic/metal/material chairs. Flooring? Polycarbonate. Do the doors go into the walls like pocket doors or swing in/out like regular doors? What are they made of? Metal doors that swing like normal doors. Does that button just stick out from the wall or is there a switch-box plate or something that it comes out of? There is a metal plate, screwed in place with 4 screws.

Rick presses the button. The door opens like magic. The two guards look inside. They don’t ask if there is anything that you need. They just wait to see what you are going to do or say.

Bex shows him the injured arm, which does look pretty nasty, and asks for a first aid kit. The guards look at each other and one of them goes down the hall. The door is open for about 30 seconds, then closes.

Rick pushes the button again (I just know he would) and the door opens. The guard that left is back before the door closes again with a first aid kit and hands it to Rick. The door closes again. Rick pushes the button again (he’s like that) and then takes the first aid kit to the table.

Lynette checks behind the fridge and finds that they don’t dust well here. The floor under the table looks to be made of a single piece of clear plastic. There are keyboard sliding trays mounted under the table, one for each tray.

There is a vent with metal ducting bringing air into the room.

;;; There’s a basic catch-up.

Posted at 05:18 AM in Base, Level 1 | Permalink Comments You can follow this conversation by subscribing to the comment feed for this post.

ooc: sorry for no response yesterday…pulling 12+ hour days here at work right now….didn’t even have time to think yesterday.

I’ll inspect what I can trying to figure out what the stuff (walls/ceiling etc.) is made of…anything and everything to me will be a question. I’m pretty good with materials as is Rick so maybe we can figure out some idea of what the heck this stuff is. Otherwise I’m going to avoid as much as I can any coffee or liquid JIC there isa “taint” to it.

Posted by: mark | 03/10/2009 at 06:11 AM

So nothing happened when loose cannon, um… I mean, Rick pushed the button?

hmm…

Are there any ducts or air handling system openings in the room?

OOC: Ok, maybe you’re waiting for this: I will use Search and make the roll with a +3 modifier. Doesn’t look like there’s anything to keep me from doing a _very thorough job. Rolled a 22.

Posted by: John | 03/10/2009 at 08:26 AM

OOC: Alternatively, if folks would rather, I can use my Treat Injury skill to try and heal some hit points in the group. Preferences? We’re talking on the order of d4 hp back if it works and nada if it doesn’t. But I can keep trying if it fails. One successful healing per person per day.

Posted by: John | 03/10/2009 at 08:59 AM

OOC: the two guards were swapped out? Meaning that there were guards in the room with us, or we heard the changing of the guard through the door? What happened when Rick pushed that button?

John: I’d like some Treat Injury, myself…

I’m going to try to get comfortable on the floor, and fall asleep.

Posted by: bex | 03/10/2009 at 10:40 AM

Nothing when the button is pushed. Well, I’ll start tapping around on the ceiling and walls and looking with the rest of the guys.

Posted by: CV Rick | 03/10/2009 at 10:52 AM

ok. Here’s what I learned when I actually searched:

“The walls become very obvious when you aren’t rushed past them at gunpoint. It’s nothing more than a clear polycarbonate wall. The mottled colors come from the earth on the other side of the plastic. “The table actually has computer monitors built into it at every seat with a keyboard and mouse mounted under the table for each monitor. A couple of the mice are way up against the back of the keyboard shelf as if they are never used or someone slammed the shelf back into place rather roughly. There is a computer under the table at the head. It’s off. The coffee maker is off but in a small cupboard under it is coffee, sugar, artificial sweeteners and there is a small fridge with cream and 3 Diet Cokes. Other than as a meeting place, it looks like very little business takes place in this room.”

So. After performing my search: 1) I Tend Injury on Brian (OOC DC=15 rolled a 6 on the first try, 15 on the 2nd try – Healed Brian 4 HP) 2) I point out the fact that there is a computer under the table, reach down and turn it on. (OOC: I have 2 ranks in Computer Use and a total of +4 on rolls. I think we should find the person with the best shot at cracking this puppy open and have everyone else with computer use chipping in by aiding the lead. Everyone helping makes a skill check with a DC of 10 and if they succeed, they add +2 to the lead person’s skill check but the DM can set a limit to the number of folks who can contribute to the effort.

Who’s with me?

Posted by: John | 03/10/2009 at 09:05 PM

;;; Sorry, for some reason Typepad did not notify me of the plethora of responses. I’ll catch up.

Posted by: Success Warrior | 03/10/2009 at 09:24 PM

ooc: John I’m with ya! can I get soem first aid as well, prolly everyone that got hurt?

Posted by: mark | 03/11/2009 at 06:29 AM

ooc: I’m at work and not near by character sheets so not sure what my skills are. Why didn’t I find the computers when I was crawling around on the floor under the table Mr. DM? So when I get home, I’ll check my stats or Alan can do it but I only rolled a 4 on a D10 if that’s what I was supposed to roll.

I fiddle with the computers to see if I can access solitaire. If not, I put my feet up on the table, lean back in the chair and attempt to get a little shut eye.

Posted by: Lynette | 03/11/2009 at 03:14 PM

;;; Yes, technically you would have found or also found the computer Lynette. I responded to John via email before I found the treasure trove of comments that had been hidden from me (in plain sight, had I looked but nevermind that).

All skill checks are done with d20 so you need to reroll.

Posted by: Success Warrior | 03/11/2009 at 04:27 PM

View
Everyone. Conference Room. Five Minutes.

The group was escorted along the trail between the trees. The path was wide enough for two people to walk side by side. Two guards lead the way followed by the campers (is that better than “friends”?) followed by the other six guards. Their guns were dangling at a rest position across their chests.

“Am I going to get my pistol back sometime. It was expensive. Oh, and who or what are the eggs?”

Mark also tried to strike up a conversation.

Both were met with silence from the guards closest to them.

“Keep walking,” the leader said. “Your questions will be answered when we’re safely inside.”

It wasn’t more than a minute of walking when a shack came into view. The flashlights showed a run down, poorly shingled, little building, barely large enough for the soldiers to fit inside. The guards walked inside with those behind expecting the campers to continue.

The interior of the building was made of concrete. A rectangular box with the ramshackle exterior attached. In the center of the floor was a staircase leading down. At the bottom of the stairs was a large metal door. The lead guard on the right took off his glove, punched in a 5 digit code, and then placed his hand on a scanner. There were no cool red lights under his hand like on the movies, just the sound of the lock being released on the door.

The only light in the room still came from the flashlights but there was enough light in the room to see a couple of cameras in the corners above the metal door.

The door swished open and the lead guards stepped over the metal rim for the door. On the other side of the door, there was a tunnel with lights running along the top. The tunnel was tubular and oddly colored. The campers took turns trying to peer ahead to what was waiting for them and trying to figure out what the wall was made of.

The friends went past several doors. There didn’t appear to be in any cross tunnels in this section of the “base”. Just doors, here and there, on both the left and the right. The doors were all made of metal, planted into cement bulkheads with keypads and handscanners beside them.

The two guards stopped at one of the doors and the guard on the right took off his glove and opened the door. Why did he even bother putting the glove back in. The two guards walked in with the campers behind. Only the leader of the soldiers followed them in.

Inside was a conference room with a large table in the center and chairs all around. The walls were made of the same material as the tunnel. Shiny mottled browns and blacks. There was a sink, fridge, and coffee maker but little else.

“Make yourselves comfortable,” the leader said. “Someone will be in to speak to you shortly. I’ll have guards posted outside so don’t bother trying to leave.”

The leader exited the room and walked down the tunnel to the right. The two guards exited and took positions to either side of the door. The metal door swished shut with a thud. There was a button to the right of the door instead of handscanner so the door might not need a code to open from the inside.

Posted at 11:08 AM in Base, Level 1 | Permalink Comments You can follow this conversation by subscribing to the comment feed for this post.

huh. Well, I can be patient for a while. After I check the place out.

Ceiling material? Anything in the fridge? What do the walls feels like? Table and chairs wood or metal or what? Flooring? Do the doors go into the walls like pocket doors or swing in/out like regular doors? What are they made of? Does that button just stick out from the wall or is there a switch-box plate or something that it comes out of?

Posted by: John | 03/07/2009 at 06:34 PM

I think someone needs to press that button.

Yes, someone needs to press the button.

Any volunteers?

Yes, Pick Me!!

I press the button.

Posted by: CV Rick | 03/08/2009 at 12:18 AM

OOC: I had a +2 to my diplomacy roll because of high charisma, to technically I rolled a 15 on my diplomacy check… which may or may not matter.

Anyway, IF the button opens the door, and IF the guards barge in looking angry, I’ll show them my arm and say “we’re clawed up pretty good… can we get a first aid kit or a medic or something?”

Posted by: bex | 03/08/2009 at 02:46 PM

In the meantime, I’ll make sure folks realize this room is likely bugged. I’ll raise my index finger to my lips in the “hush” pose, and gently shake my head… I’ll be subtle enough so I could play it off like a silly gesture in case they are video taping us as well.

I’m still not quite sure the folks who grabbed us are entirely human… we don’t know if that bright light zapped us through space, time, or both. Killer frogs just might be commonplace around these parts…

Posted by: bex | 03/08/2009 at 03:31 PM

I take a seat and start observing the room, using the swivel chair to help rotate me around. It occurs to me that perhaps there is something behind the fridge so I get up to move it and see if there might be an opening. If there’s nothing there then I decide to crawl under the table and make sure there’s no obvious bugs under there and/or seams in the floor that might lead to an opening that goes lower.

Posted by: Lynette | 03/09/2009 at 11:18 AM

View
What? No Dinner First?

The group complyied with the orders yelled from the trees and shadows emerged from cover, advancing on the friends. Guns were kept at the ready as John offered his explanation. All the humans were held at gunpoint as two of the SEAL-looking guys zip-tied all the frogs, wrists and ankles. Even the one that Rick had killed was zip-tied.

With the frogs bound, the two on tie-up duty turned their attention to the humans.

“Yes, sir! As my friend said, we are not here to cause trouble… we came here to find camp, and were attacked by these frog-creatures. We are very happy you found us, because some of us were hurt in the scuffle … do you have a first-aid kit we could use?” Brian asked.

“You’ll be taken care of,” someone answered. It was hard to tell exactly who was speaking with everyone wearing a balaclava. The tone wasn’t menacing but the word choice was ominous.

Each human was frisked, not so gently. Not that the guards were being extra rough. Speed, practice, and the fact that they were wearing gloves all factored into the guards “patting” hard enough to find anything that didn’t come as stock equipment on a human body. Well, all the stock equipment was found as well but was left in place while all the weapons found were passed off to other guards.

“Let’s get you guys some medical attention,” the same voice said. It was easier to pinpoint who said it now from the direction of the sound, not that it made much of a difference.

“Johnson, Valdez, you stay here until the eggs get here,” the voice ordered, then, “Let’s move.”

Two guards took point while the other six waited for the friends to follow.

Posted at 07:30 AM in Base, Level 1 | Permalink Comments You can follow this conversation by subscribing to the comment feed for this post.

Friends?

“Am I going to get my pistol back sometime? It was expensive.”

“Oh, and who or what are the eggs?”

Posted by: CV Rick | 03/03/2009 at 12:06 PM

As I’m being led off, I’m going to mentally count my paces as I leave the water, and try to design a mental map of where I lost my machete… using the dock as a point of reference.

Finding it again will be useful, if we happen to need it. I doubt the guards will find it in the dark. Hopefully we’ll acquire other weapons if we need them, so I’ll call this “plan B”.

OOC: I’ll get you an updated char sheet tonight…

Posted by: bex | 03/03/2009 at 01:09 PM

as we get led away I’m going to try and keep track of where and what I see, keeping those eyes peeled for anything out of the ordinary/of use in the future…

I also will try and start up a conversation if possible with our “guides” to see what I can find out about the operation/location we’re at

Posted by: mark | 03/03/2009 at 03:28 PM

I glance casually at the tree line where I left my back pack and video camera. I wonder if the guards have found it. I know it’s best to keep it out of their hands so I say nothing and just march along quietly, noting every landmark that will lead me back.

Posted by: Lynette | 03/03/2009 at 11:18 PM

Guess we’re gonna find out more about what’s going on whether we want to or not. I want to concentrate on seeing things that they aren’t pointing their lights at. Maintain enough attention on where we’re going so that I don’t trip or anything but I want to be looking to the side as we go along so that I can try to see things such as but not limited to cameras, fences, communication wires, anything that I wouldn’t expect to find in a northwoods forest by the lake.

Posted by: John | 03/04/2009 at 12:52 PM

View
Protected by Killer Frogs - Round 9

John’s baton whiffed through the air again. Was he fighting mutant frogs or directing an orchestra? Alan wasn’t doing any better. Just a whole lotta action with no results.

Mark tried tackling the last frog and for the first time he was able to get a really good hold on the slippery sucker and took the thing to the ground. The frog tried to roll and squirm to escape but Mark was able to hold on.

Lynette came running back with her rock and brought it down on the frog’s head, cracking its head open and mashing its face into the mud. The frog stopped trying to escape from Mark’s grasp.

Brian slipped a bit in the mud, dropping to his hands and knees, still unable to find his machete.

Rick pulled his knife and slit the throat of the frog nearest to him. It croaked. (You knew I was going to say that eventually.)

Rick stood up to move on to the next one when he was blinded by a bright light. Everyone else was bathed in birght white light along with flashes of red.

“Drop the knife!” could be heard first and then it was followed by a bunch of other yelling where it was hard to pick out the different words. Looking around, the lights came from the treeline, the white from flashlights. The flashes of red had settled into clean dots on each of the friends.

Posted at 07:56 AM in Base, Level 1 | Permalink Comments You can follow this conversation by subscribing to the comment feed for this post.

Ah frak… Now the soldiers show up? When a laser sight is pointing at your chest, you put your hands in the air, baton and all. (Just hope my gun is hidden in it’s shoulder holster under my leather jacket.) But I put them up in such as way to try and see what’s behind the glaring lights.

“Please tell me you’re human! We were just coming ashore looking for a place to make camp when the… the… whatever they are, jumped us.”

Posted by: John | 02/27/2009 at 09:02 PM

I already had my hands in the air gloating over my frogicide. The whoop I let out died quickly. I freeze in shock with arms raised and go completely silent.

Posted by: Lynette | 02/27/2009 at 10:47 PM

OOC: I think its time for y’all to STFU and let the diplomat - moi - deal with these ruffians…

I’ll slowly raise my slightly muddy hands out of the water - for once HAPPY that I have no weapon - and show them. I then try my best to use Diplomacy (+2 for Trustworthy) on these folks… and hope they are merely unfriendly.

“Yes, sir! As my friend said, we are not here to cause trouble… we came here to find camp, and were attacked by these frog-creatures. We are very happy you found us, because some of us were hurt in the scuffle… do you have a first-aid kit we could use?”

I’m building on the premise that after doing us a small, reasonable favor, they might be more open to larger favors in the future…

OOC: I needed a 15, rolled a 13… at least things aren’t any WORSE

Posted by: bex | 02/28/2009 at 11:35 AM

I will slowly stand and raise my hands in the air. Then I will, still slowly, turn put my back to them in order to readjust my eyes to the new light conditions.

Posted by: CV Rick | 03/01/2009 at 01:22 PM

I slowly drag my self to my feet out of the muck and off the froggie, trying to hide my pistol in its holster as much as I can and lace my hands behind my head. I then fall back to my knees and flop to the side (pretending nicely that I’m hurt worse than I am…..all to help Brian’s ruse)

ooc: I’m leaving for Houghton MI (YAH U.P. beers) on Thursday AM, and will be out of communication till late Sunday night.

Posted by: mark | 03/02/2009 at 06:44 AM

;;; Guess we know who will be the designated bomb tech over the weekend.

Posted by: Success Warrior | 03/03/2009 at 05:18 AM

View
Protected by Killer Frogs - Round 8

John and Alan combined attacks again to test the theory of synergy. When both of them missed, it really did make both of them look worse then they would have alone.

Mark was able to grab on to the slimy frog leg but he wasn’t able to gain any leverage to take the thing down. The frog tried to stop on Mark again but wasn’t able to bring any force down on him.

The other frog lashed out at John with its pond-scum claws and narrowly missed.

Lynette ran back to the tree line and worked a larger rock loose that she could use to bash the frog with.

Brian dug around in the muck looking for his machete and came up empty.

Rick lowered his shoulder and rammed into the frog, knocking the thing over Mark, and landing on top of the dang thing. Bones crunched and the frog layed motionless on the ground.

Posted at 08:09 AM in Base, Level 1 | Permalink Comments You can follow this conversation by subscribing to the comment feed for this post.

Woo hoo! Only one left! Kill it! Swing the old baton.

OOC: Rolled a 10. Miss.

Posted by: John | 02/24/2009 at 02:25 PM

it looks like these guys have things under control, so I’ll keep fishing around for my machete…

OOC: Believe it or not, the dice server is BLOCKED by my client’s firewall… I guess they don’t want nerdy IT folks playing online RPGs during work hours. I’ll find my way around it, and email the die roll soon.

Posted by: bex | 02/24/2009 at 04:58 PM

OOC: Unbelievable… I FUMBLED while looking for my machete in the lake… un-fucking-believable. Does this mean a magical trout swipes my machete, and bitch-slaps me with it?

Posted by: bex | 02/24/2009 at 06:57 PM

I get up and charge the last one looking to take it down and hold it while my friends bash its brains in with rocks, fists, pistol butts or metal battons…or magical trouts

ooc: I roll a 19!

Posted by: mark | 02/25/2009 at 06:08 AM

I’ll holster my weapon and pull out my knife. Methodically I’m going to ensure that all the downed Frogs are dead.

Posted by: CV Rick | 02/25/2009 at 05:03 PM

I run up on the last frog and attempt to hurl the large rock on top of his head.

ooc: roll coming shortly

Posted by: Lynette | 02/26/2009 at 08:56 PM

ooc: I rolled a 20. I’d say that skull is bashed.

Posted by: Lynette | 02/26/2009 at 08:56 PM

;;; Roll another d20 for Critical results.

Posted by: Success Warrior | 02/26/2009 at 09:05 PM

View
Protected by Killer Frogs - Round 7

John and Alan teamed up to see who could miss by the widest margin. Alan won. While John’s baton strike merely sailed over the frog’s head, Alan’s kick looked like the start of a siezure.

Mark and Lynette each tried to grab a slippery frog leg. Mark managed to grab on for a second but Lynette couldn’t get a good hold on the slimy leg.

The frog playing hopscotch around Mark and Lynette’s arms kicked Mark again for his trouble (-3 hp, no Fort save).

The other frog was busy dodging spastic kicks and non-steroid assisted swings for the fence and wasn’t able to launch anything that looked like a counter offensive.

Brian ran out into the lake and started scrounging around in the muck for his machete (d20 check).

Rick tried to finish off this frog with another pistol-whip to the head but he missed the mark.

Posted at 07:58 AM in Base, Level 1 | Permalink Comments You can follow this conversation by subscribing to the comment feed for this post.

ooc: We suck!

Posted by: Lynette | 02/20/2009 at 10:00 AM

Well, since Mark seems to be able to deal with the frog’s legs about as well as I can, I decide to leave him to it. I jump back up to my feet and run back to the treeline where I left the camera. For a moment the thought passes through my head that I wished I hadn’t left it running. This was going to be humiliating. Then I wondered if “America’s Funniest Home Videos” was still on the air. Once back at the trees I searched the ground for a tree limb or rock I could return to the fight with.

ooc: do I need to roll?

Posted by: Lynette | 02/20/2009 at 11:39 AM

No roll needed for a rock. There are plenty.

Posted by: Success Warrior | 02/20/2009 at 12:44 PM

I dig around in the water, looking for my knife… hoping to hobble back to the battle in enough time to actually HURT something.

OOC: not sure if I have to roll high or low… if its an INT or DEX roll, I made it nicely… given my tendency to roll embarrassingly low numbers.

Posted by: bex | 02/20/2009 at 02:26 PM

I’ve had it. Now I just tackle the frog. Maybe with all the debris (and people) on the ground, he’ll trip and I can fall on him.

OOC: Am I going to cause damage? I’m certain my roll was enough to drop him.

Posted by: CVRick | 02/20/2009 at 02:48 PM

;;; Bex, as a general rule, high rolls are almost always better. As an example, let’s say that to find a machete in a foot of water in one round would be an Average DC. You’d need to roll a 10. You’d get to add your INT modifier. Let’s say that the DM determines that finding a machete in a foot of water at night without a flashlight turned on in one round is Tough. You’d need to roll a 15. You’d still get to add your INT modifier.

Most of the game revolves around Difficulty Class (DC), which involve a target number based on a d20 roll. Combat (Defense is technically a DC), skills, feats, and saving throws all require a d20 roll aimed at some target based on how hard it would be to accomplish.

Posted by: Success Warrior | 02/20/2009 at 03:06 PM

Third time’s the charm right? I’ll swing again. And yes… this is getting embarrassing.

OOC: ah fuck. Rolled a 9.

Posted by: John | 02/21/2009 at 07:36 AM

well, I’ve had it I’m going to break this things leg/knee if I can or at least put it in some serious hazzard to move…

ooc: I roll a 16!!!!

Posted by: mark | 02/23/2009 at 06:38 AM

View
Protected by Killer Frogs - Round 6

John took another swipe with his baton, whiffing through empty air. Alan was able to plant a front kick squarely into the frog’s gut.

Mark reached out grabbed onto one of the frog’s legs hoping to hold it still long enough for someone to finish it off. The frog used its other leg to stomp down hard on Mark’s shoulder, freeing itself from the hold (-7 hp, no Fort save needed).

The other frog lashed out desperately at Alan slashing new wounds into his chest (-4 hp, Fort save).

Lynette crawled in by Mark and grabbed onto the leg that Mark had recently let go of. The frog shook his leg free of her grasp.

With the frog distracted by the attackers at its legs, Brian was able to back up a couple of steps.

Rick used the distraction to give the frog’s head a glancing smack with his gun.

Posted at 08:54 AM in Base, Level 1 | Permalink Comments You can follow this conversation by subscribing to the comment feed for this post.

I’m going to run and grab my machete this round, and come back into the battle BEHIND the frog that John’s attacking.

Its probably safer for me to do back attacks in my heavily wounded state… and in that position I should be able to hit either frog #1 or frog #2.

I’m guessing I’ll need to wait until next round to attack… but that’s what happens when you roll two 1s in a row!

Posted by: bex | 02/17/2009 at 10:48 PM

while rolling around in the mud I make another grab for the frog legs….trying again to bring it down

ooc: I roll a flipping 9….gawd I hate 1st level…

Posted by: mark | 02/18/2009 at 09:12 AM

With Brian out of the fight for a round and the frog distracted by the pecking at its legs I’m going to wait until it looks back up at me and then:

“POW!! Right in the kisser!”

By this time he has to at least be annoyed by me.

Posted by: CVRick | 02/18/2009 at 09:55 AM

I suppose I’ll swing again. Not much else to do in this situation.

OOC: Another 10. Should have kept shooting. I would have hit someone sooner or later…. ;)

Posted by: John | 02/18/2009 at 02:44 PM

I also continue to try to grab its legs to trip it up or immobilize it, hoping that those who are armed have a better chance.

Posted by: Lynette | 02/18/2009 at 07:00 PM

ooc: apparently john gets antsy when things don’t immediately die in his presence…

Posted by: bex | 02/18/2009 at 07:34 PM

Apparently.

I should have made the frogs a little better at attacking so this could all be over by now. =)

Posted by: Success Warrior | 02/19/2009 at 04:55 AM

OOC: eventually we’re going to bore these frogs to death. We’re as effective as a late-night How to Fight infomercial.

Posted by: CV Rick | 02/19/2009 at 12:11 PM

REXQUAN – DO!

Posted by: bex | 02/19/2009 at 08:28 PM

View
Protected by Killer Frogs - Round 5

John took another swipe with his ASP, managing to hit the frog this time. Alan tried to punch the thing but got no joy.

Mark holstered up and came charging in, thinking that the frog had no where to go. Mark was right and had he not ended up on his hands and knees at the frog’s feet, the thing might have been taken to the ground.

The frog lashed out at Brian who couldn’t spin back around fast enough to bring his arm up for protection. The frog’s claws dug deep into Brian’s back, raking across his ribs. (-8 hp, need d20 Fort save).

The other frog tried a back hand swipe at John. One webbed foot slipped in the mud and the attack looked far more like a reach for balance than any sort of offensive move.

Lynette came charging in behind Mark and wasn’t able to get all the way to the frog. She ended up pushing Mark up against the creature’s legs. Mark looked up thinking that you could feed a couple of French families with those suckers.

Brian spun back around, racked with pain and still slipping on the mud, he made a mighty swing with his machete sending it flying. It glanced off of Alan’s shoulder and flew out into the lake, splashing a couple feet from shore. Probably the safest place for the machete for the time being. (-1 hp to Alan)

Rick used the butt end of the slide on his Glock to smack the frog in the back of the head. It felt and sounded like a good blow but the frog didn’t give up its fight.

Posted at 02:35 PM in Base, Level 1 | Permalink Comments You can follow this conversation by subscribing to the comment feed for this post.

Since that seems to be working, I’ll crack the frog over the head one more time and if he falls to the ground I’ll scream at him, “And Stay Down!”

OOC: My attack roll was good . . . damage, not so much.

Posted by: CVRick | 02/14/2009 at 10:24 AM

OOC: I’m down a total of 11 HP… still sanding, but pretty hurt. Rolled another 10 on my FORT save. Not sure if that’s good or bad.

If I can safely withdraw from melee, I’ll do that. Otherwise I’ll just punch the frog since I fumbled my weapon. I’ll roll attack dice just in case.

OOC: I rolled a 14

That one might actually connect!

Posted by: bex | 02/14/2009 at 01:38 PM

OOC: By the way… if you use this URL to the dice server:

http://www.rpglibrary.org/software/securedice/?dq=1&ds=20&dt=1&cc=alanrowley@bttd.net

It will pre-fill the form with Alan’s email address, and one d20 roll.

Posted by: bex | 02/14/2009 at 01:40 PM

;;; Added the new dice roll into the sidebar under Game Tools.

Posted by: Success Warrior | 02/14/2009 at 01:57 PM

OOC: it looks like we have a difficulty of between 12 and 15 on these suckers. Good to know.

Feeling invincible and buoyed by this frog’s apparent lack of martial prowess, I’ll take another swing with the baton.

OOC: Rolled a 10, so that’s a miss.

Posted by: John | 02/15/2009 at 12:36 PM

I crawl towards the frog and try to immobilize him by wrapping my arms around his legs.

Posted by: Lynette | 02/15/2009 at 09:23 PM

well since I’m looking at frog legs, I make a grab for them to try and trip it up….

I roll a 10…maybe I should throw myself into the lake after Brian’s machette?

Posted by: mark | 02/16/2009 at 06:19 AM

View
Protected by Killer Frogs - Round 4

John scrambled down the embankment from the path to come around Alan’s left side (;;; I believe you meant Alan since Mark is safely out of harm’s way taking Codeine and shooting rounds into the crowd). John took a swipe with his baton but came up empty.

Alan tried a roundhouse kick but the kick glanced harmlessly off the frog’s leg.

Mark took aim as best he could, going low since the frogs were now surrounded by his friends. The round hit into the wet dirt and disappeared.

The syncronized attacking frogs attacked Alan and Brian and synchronized their misses nicely.

Lynette chucked another rock at the one attacking Brian but now that the frog was dodging around fighting two people, the rock missed. Barely, but it plunked into the mud.

Brian swung his cool machete with all his might, missing the frog, barely missing Alan, and taking himself staggering around about 270 degrees. He did manage to stay on his feet.

Rick moved to where the frog would have to divide its attention between two attackers (plus incoming bullets and rocks). He tried an uppercut to the ribs as he made his move but the frog was able to dodge the shot.

Posted at 04:02 PM in Base, Level 1 | Permalink Comments You can follow this conversation by subscribing to the comment feed for this post.

well since I really don’t WANT to hit my friends with bullets I’m going for the flying tackle of the froggies…hoping to take one to the ground and at least control it a little bit….

and I roll a 5….guess I’m just playing in the mud!

Posted by: mark | 02/11/2009 at 07:27 AM

Well I’m in it now. No real options but to try to hit the thing again with my baton.

OOC: Rolled a 15.

Posted by: John | 02/11/2009 at 07:47 AM

ooc: I’m confused. Did I get my response to the last post in too late? If so, then I guess last post’s move will be this post’s move. Does that makes sense?

Posted by: Lynette | 02/11/2009 at 09:55 AM

OOC: are here special rules about rolling a 1? Can I attack this round?

I rotate a further 90 degrees so I’m facing my opponent again, and I take another swing… If I fail four times in a row, I’m going to withdraw and bandage my wounds before this swamp poison kills me.

OOC: I rolled a “1” again…

That’s it! Screw you guys, I’m goin’ home. Killer frogs is where I draw the line.

Posted by: bex | 02/11/2009 at 01:59 PM

Lynette, yes the last one was too late for that post so I did a rock throw for you and yes it makes sense that your tackle move is on this turn. Did you do your d20 roll for the ramming move?

Bex, my all time favorite Cartman quote. There are no official rules for the roll of a 1 but I’m old school and that’s a fumble to me. Spinning around was just a dramatic bit that had no game mechanics too it. It is possible to fall down or hit your friends though, as I’m sure you’ll find out since you’re the master of rolling 1’s.

Posted by: Success Warrior | 02/11/2009 at 03:22 PM

OOC: I like to think of myself as “pre-disastered.” I’m rolling so many 1’s now, that I’ll be sure to roll a 20 when heroism is called for… but, since I’m out for the next 2 rounds - and probably flung my machete into he lake by now - I might as well bandage my arm.

Posted by: bex | 02/11/2009 at 09:57 PM

My plan is simple. Since shooting the froggie is still out, I’m just going to pistol whip the damned thing.

OOC: 19 . . . that ought to do something. Do we also roll for damage?

Posted by: CV Rick | 02/12/2009 at 12:01 AM

I’ve been rollling your damage but you’re welcome to it. d4.

Posted by: Success Warrior | 02/12/2009 at 04:59 AM

OOC: Since I don’t know or understand the game mechanics, I’m never sure if my attack roll succeeds or fails – - so many times the damage roll won’t be necessary. How would you like this handled?

Damage roll = 3.

Posted by: CV Rick | 02/12/2009 at 08:05 AM

OOC: Whether or not we hit depends on what difficulty is assigned to hitting a particular opponent. So far we haven’t been able to bracket the difficulty very well because all of our hits have been in the really high range. My 12 missed, and the lowest roll that we know hit was an 18. Luckily this time I rolled a 15 which should narrow the range down one way or the other. Then we’ll know better about when we should go ahead and roll damage.

Until we go up against something else with a different difficulty rating.

Posted by: John | 02/12/2009 at 12:27 PM

OOC: in which case, I’ll just keep rolling 1s, 2s, and 4s, and hopefully the monster will laugh itself to death…

Posted by: bex | 02/12/2009 at 05:20 PM

View
Protected by Killer Frogs - Round 3

John inched up a bit both forward as well as up on his toes a bit to get a clear shot at the frog slicing up Brian. He was too cautious with his shot though, hitting the ground well beyond the frog.

Alan gave up with his gun and did a side kick into the chest of the frog that John shot. His heel connected nicely sending the frog back a few feet where it sprawled out and laid motionless.

Mark took a shot at the frog attacking Rick, thunking another round into the frog’s body but the frog refused to give up its attack on Rick.

All the frogs lashed out with their clawed, webbed, “hands” at the 3 guys holding the front. If the live through this, they should start a synchronized swimming team because although they acted together, it was all pointless.

Lynette bounced another rock off the frog attacking Rick. This time the frog looked briefly in her direction, probably thinking, “What the hell?”

Brian continued to fan the frog with his machete so the poor creature didn’t get too hot, flailing about up here on dry land.

Rick was fed up with frogs, guns, and the frog-pond-slime burning in his open lacerations. Holding the gun in his left hand, he lashed out with a right cross to the frog’s slimy face that knocked it out cold.

Posted at 01:44 PM in Base, Level 1 | Permalink Comments You can follow this conversation by subscribing to the comment feed for this post.

Knocked it out cold!! Yeah. Now I move around behind the one that Brian is fighting and punch it.

Posted by: CVRick | 02/06/2009 at 03:40 PM

2 down, 2 (unwounded) to go!

I refuse to become a pugilist when I have a machete in my hand… I keep my wounded left arm up for protection, and make another swing at the leader… trying hard to not hit Rick as he closes.

OOC: I rolled a frigging 1! Aaaaaagh!

Posted by: bex | 02/06/2009 at 04:40 PM

Seems like the time of ranged weapons has come to a close. I holster my pistol, unclip my baton and come down the hill and around to Mark’s left and take a swipe at the one he’s been the target of.

OOC: Rolled a 12.

Posted by: John | 02/09/2009 at 09:33 AM

OOC: still sick as shit, but now on medication, but not the kind that I really wanted ;) but I found the SW trilogy much more entertaining while on my codeine yesterday…

do I have a shot with my pistol still being on the high(er) ground?

Posted by: mark | 02/10/2009 at 07:56 AM

You take a minus and risk hitting a friend.

Posted by: Success Warrior | 02/10/2009 at 08:21 AM

Since we now have the froggies outnumbered and my rocks aren’t having much of an effect, I decide to risk personal bodily injury and rush towards the nearest frog. My goal is to run full speed, put my shoulder down and bowl him over from the side.

ooc: let me know what I need to roll. Is it 1 d20 again?

Posted by: Lynette | 02/10/2009 at 04:31 PM

Yes, d20.

Posted by: Success Warrior | 02/10/2009 at 04:41 PM

View

I'm sorry, but we no longer support this web browser. Please upgrade your browser or install Chrome or Firefox to enjoy the full functionality of this site.